Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short (i did not install) I have a vortech s/c'd focus (non svt) that is giving us some problems. Install was some 6 months ago and it has been running fine ever since yesterday when it died on the fwy.

towed it home and it seems like it ran out gas but I know for sure it has at least half tank.

If you let it sit for a few hours it will actually run for a few seconds then turn off. appling the accelerator does nothing.

I checked all fuel related fuses but all it good there. I know the about the fuel pump cut off switch but I reset it and nothing changed.

I read that you must send in your ECM to vortech and they send you an new custom ECM that has the correct maps. I wonder if maybe this has something to do with it not starting.

does vortech include a inline fuel pump with this kit? maybe it died?

Like I said we have not built or installed anything on this car. the install shop is over 600 miles away and they are no help. I just need some guidance on where to look. I'm familiar with hondas and turbos but not really too much focus.[???:)][???:)]

·
FF Affiliate
30,987 Posts
I would say check your fuel psi there is a recall on the Focus fuel pumps and this may be your problem an easy way to tell is with a scan tool and check your fuel psi

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to d/l the vortech manual the other day. It seems like the fuel pump quit so I'm going to check that first. anything else I should check?

update:
I removed the line from the fuel filter and when I turned the key fuel did squirt out but then it stopped. Shouldn't it keep on flowing if the key is on? i want to make sure its the pump before I drop the tank.

·
FF Affiliate
30,987 Posts
No it may not keep squirting ,,You need to test this with a scan tool for fuel PSI its the only way

You DO NOT need to change the pump it is a national recall for the focus and is free at the ford place even if you have the Vortech

Tom

·
Registered
388 Posts
if you mean the key is on the "ON" position, no it won't keep squirting. It is "priming" it for the car to start.

I miss my aftermarket one........you could hear the whine from outside the car.....it was mean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another update

Ok check this out. We elected not to replace the pump since the flow of fuel out of the pump seems normal. I guess the pump does not stay on it pulses depending on the pressure.

Ne way, I leave it alone for a few hours then I think, I wonder if the factory alarm has anything to do with it not starting. At this point I will try anything. I sit in the car with the doors shut and begin to cycle thru the remote. Lock/unlock, panic etc. for about 5 minutes or so. After the last unlock I hear a click over by the passenger kick panel. Not sure if it was the ECM or the fuel cutoff switch. Excited, I insert the key and turn it. What do you know....it started!! [thumb] What puzzles me is I don't think the factory alarm has a fuel cut circuit. I thought it only locks/unlocks the doors and sounds the horn. Does the factory alarm have a fuel cut built into it? Or something that prevents fuel flow or spark maybe??

I really don't know what made it start again. [???:)] I did not do anything to know for sure if it was the alarm or not. I just came back from a 30 mile shakedown and everything seems fine.

anyone have any ideas??? strange but true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts