Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking on behalf of a friend who owns a Focus, they want to know if the volume paddles (on the sterring wheel?) are compatible with any new stereo bought.
The likely unit is a Kenwood KDC 3024.
Does this require any more information to answer?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I'm no expert on this but I think what you're going to need is one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-ER1PDc6GCVc/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=118900&I=127SWIX&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacswisteerw.html

According to the application guide that's on the second website, the Focus is one of the compatible cars - the device does require that the aftermarket stereo be equipped with an infrared remote. Near as I can tell, it converts the signal created by pressing the buttons on the steering wheel remote into infrared-type signals that the aftermarket radio understands?? Hacking and splicing of wires will be necessary. Good luck! [thumb]

·
Registered
31 Posts
There isnt a whole lot of hacking necessary to install that piece. It works pretty well. I have used it in other vehicles and had no problems with it. All it does is make the steering wheel buttons work like a remote. There is a ir eye you have to mount. There is a plug somewhere in the vehicle, generally behind the stereo for the steering wheel controls and this is where the unit interfaces. They plug together and you are mostly done.

The only other way to make the steering wheel controls work is to modify the pc board in the stereo and then connect the controls to the aftermarket stereo. This requires a lot of expertise and a lot of technical knowledge so its not generally a feasible option.

·
Registered
571 Posts
says on both sites that it will only work with any HU equipted with a wireless remote.....
what were you reading man?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Huh. Okay, well from the pictures it looked less plug and play and more hack and splice. It wasn't until I fully investigated this before I realized the thing worked by basically putting in a "permanent" wireless remote in range of the stereo's IR receiver. Dunno if this is something I'll be doing when I go aftermarket or not.

Dave30, I don't know what you're saying or who you're talking to... [confused]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts