Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently purchased a replacement head unit, just the standard jobby (6000CD black ford one). Now ive got the steering wheel controls and they seem to work fine.

The issue i have is that when ever i use the Volume Control on the head unit, it goes to 0 and i cant get it back up. I can use the stalk to control the volume and it works perfectly fine.

I went into fade/Balance and just touching the control it went straight to -7 and i couldnt get it back to 0, it would go, 7,6, 2, 3, 7 and like that.

The shop i bought it from said that it may be the stalk connections are rusted or have some corrosion on them.

All the other buttons work perfectly fine.

Any Thoughts?

Before i put this head unit in, i had an aftermarket Clarion installed, but i didnt touch the steering control wires at all.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its a bad vol knob i see it alot. You can try electrical contact cleaber and pull knob off and spray ib there a good bit and twist the knob back and forth to dislodge any corrosion. Other then that bad knob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are talking bout the black head unit with volume on the left yeah? Doesn't feel like it should come off

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dont really have a documented success rate seems most are fixed this way unless the stat is internally broken. Usually can tell by spinning knob and if spins kinda oblong like ir wobbly it may actually just be broken. It pulls off.....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just FYI, you can buy the Axxess ASWC to make your aftermarket head unit work with your steering wheel controls. Just in case that's why you switched back to stock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks,
Yeah i know about the adapters,

im just looking at getting the car back to stock looking as possible, kinda the route i want to take with it at the moment. just want it looking OEM in most places with a few choice upgrades, Bigger Brakes, zorst engine mods and all that.

Just sprayed it with cleaner, will let it dry then give it a go.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I pulled mine out and took it apart. Lots of little torx screws. Then cleaned the circuit board with contact cleaner. It worked, but I was a little surprised that the unit still worked when I put it back in. My batting average with electronics is on the low side!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My volume knob is all sticky and melted. Black junk gets all over my fingers every time I turn it. I need to find a reply for it. Other that that it works fine. The face plate wouldn't stay on when I bought the car because the clips were broken but I got some screws with the plastic wall clips to screw into, trimmed them down to fit into the holes, and screwed face plate in tight enough to get the contacts to touch.. VOILA! RADIO WORKS! got an email transmitter and I'm super happy. Just need the volume knob now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts