Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was beginning to get worried. I havent had any problems with my car in a while [shameful]
Well.. It seems I have a few voltage issues now. And I dont think its the Altinator. So My Dashlights have decided to stop working and turn on and off when they please. (Mostly off). Its only my dash lights and my HVAC lights. (Which are connected) I checked the fuse (first place you always look) and everythings fine. Well yesterday my battery light turned on and I looked at my Sweet Autometer volt gauge and it says that it was Running at 10 volts [dunno]. I pulled over turned off the car and turned it back on again and it popped back to 12. It did this a couple of times. I had to throw the revs up a couple of times to get the Altinator to work harder. (Dont know if that really works or not).. Anyways.. I dont think its the Altinator. This is happening all of the sudden. Sounds Like a Short, But no Fuses are popping>? Could the dash lights be related? Any Ideas?>
Thanks
DAniel

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoops... Wrong Section.... Sorry Mods... :)

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
your dash lights could be the plug on the rear of the cluster

your alternator definitely seem bad

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Switch still Lights up though.. So I doubt its the Plug

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Problem I see with the Altinator theory is.. They Battery Goes Down immediatly. It should last alot Longer.. Its a new Optima.. I dought Id see Drops like that all of the sudden... If it were a sudden power serge that Drains power that makes more sence to me.. Why would an Altinator Drain a Battery Like that?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The alternator isn't draining the battery. The car is running off the battery and the battery isn't getting charged back because the alternator is no good. So get another alternator.

It doesn't take long at all to kill a battery with a bad alternator. I would say a few days at most. How long your car been acting up?

The dash light theory would sound plausable if you weren't getting the bad volt reading of 10 and 12.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did this once Coming Home from the AutoX and didnt do it again untill yesterday

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
could also be the reostat in the head light switch causing the light issue, but def sounds like alt for other problem, possible, bad cell in battery ( but dout it)

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it looks Like We might have a Small Gumpcrew Alt Install day if anyones Interested.. LOL

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
So it looks Like We might have a Small Gumpcrew Alt Install day if anyones Interested.. LOL
dispite all the bitching people like to do about an alternator swap, it's really quite easy. seriously i did one in the autozone parking lot in montgomery during a gump meet, in less than an hour. (granted that was a zx3, not an svt but it should be about the same)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The SVT and the zx3 are the same thing. Its not that hard. Dan, is replacing it the hard part or paying for it? Me and Jon can help you out if needed. I've got a garage at my house and plenty of tools to get it on.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
The SVT and the zx3 are the same thing. Its not that hard. Dan, is replacing it the hard part or paying for it? Me and Jon can help you out if needed. I've got a garage at my house and plenty of tools to get it on.
well i wasnt sure. with the intake manifold being different, i didnt know how that would play a factor. i know on the zx3 it kinda gets in the way.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There isnt alot of room back there... I might get both your help.. Ill buy dinner or something... LOL (since I dont Drink LOL) Or Ill give you money for some Beer or somethin.. I have takin the stupid thing half way off but it was almost glued on

·
Registered
21 Posts
had same problem

My alternator was tested fine and I still lost my dash lights with running lights and other things. A wire was shorting out in the dash. Took it in to the dealership to get it checked out and found a bad wire in the driver wheelwell. Check to see if things not working are in a cluster in the fuse panel. If so they could be faulty like mine.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANKS.. Im taking it apart this weekend

·
Registered
548 Posts
Like gonefhsn said could be windings going bad in reostat (dimmer dial). Pull alternator anyways & have it tested.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you are only getting 12V while the engine is running the alternator is not operating. This can be caused by one of two problems... 1, the ECU is not providing the correct excitation current to the alternator (unlikely). or 2, the alternator is bad (more likely).

To check the ECU start the car with the alternator plug (3 wire connector) disconnected and a voltmeter placed between the two wires which aren't red (I think it is blue and grey but I can't recall completely). You should get a reading of between 7-10V (plus or negative, depending on how you plugged the meter in) with the engine running. If you don't get this reading then your ECU is not sending the correct signal to the alternator. Like I said, this is unlikely...

If you do get this signal then your alternator is most likely toast. I heard really bad things about this install but I just changed mine on Wednesday and it was a 2 hour / 2 beer job so not too bad. I just unbolted the passenger side motor mount and used a 2x4 to slide the engine forward to get more clearance... worked like a charm. The hardest part was getting the dam belt back on!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Well like I said in the beginning, if Daniel is only getting 10-12 volts, its the alternator....should be at a high 13 or low 14.

You fix it yet Daniel?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts