Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my volant and it should be here Friday and I will be installing it Saturday, replacing my K&N FIPK. With that, my intake/exhaust goal is pretty much complete......Volant, TB, FR header, RT cat, Bosal flex and Magnaflow cat.

My question is this ( whoa, everyone just keep those pistols in your holsters, I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for)........My ZX5 doesn't have the underhood insulation, will the volant seal properly when I shut the hood or will it require the underhood insulation pad? I saw where you could cut out a piece of a foam knee pad and stick it to the underside of the hood but that looks like crap and I would rather just buy the insulation.

I could wait until I install it and just see but I go past a large auto salvage yard on the way home and thought if its known to be a requirement I could stop in and see if I can find a wrecked Focus with the insulation ( the Ford dealer wants $90 for it!).

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I think you answered your own question.

1. Use foam pad
2. Buy insulation from dealer or junkyard

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you're saying that is correct, it WON'T seal properly without one of these?

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, well I know the solution and my options if in fact it IS a problem. The question is "does it seal without the need for insulation or foam pad?" NOT what to do if it doesn't seal.
Certainly one would believe that with all the Volant users on this forum someone would have encountered this with the installation on an 02-up non SVT Focus as I believe from that model year forward does not come with the underhood insulation.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
i think the volant would seal without the insulation too. just wait and see when you get it. its not going to hurt your car or intake at all having the volant are and no insulation/foam even if it doesnt seal. i fortunately have a 2k1 so it seals more than fine. if it were me, id get the insulation anyway regardless of the volant, could save a couple years of paint life and that hood!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
After install rub the top of the seal with white chalk and close the hood if there is chalk on the hood it may not need the insulation..Just a thought

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
is it actually that big of a deal to seal it up? cause i have one coming later this week and i wasn't planning on sealing it if i didn't have to.

Mike

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, believe I will just get the insulation and be done with it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't have the fire suppresion insulation under my hood and the volant seals to the hood most of the way.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Going to go a little off topic but why does the Volant have a hole in the air box any way?

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
functional ram air

If you get a Ram Air hood, you have a ram air hole [:)]

·
Registered
671 Posts
Cool what about water? Is there a way to stop the water coming in?

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
no water comes in, with the ram air, I don't know if you can get around that without closing the hole up in the hood, course I won't presume to know much about a ram air setup. But with the volant and a stock hood, the hole has a seal, which will seal to the hood when closed, so no water will get in. It will then use the snorkel and the side duct to get air.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You might be abel to use a air bypass valve.That might work.It would real close to the tb.Might not work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts