Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my used volant. woo-hoo! but a couple of things confuse me:

1) does the box actually mount to anything, or does it just kinda hang out? i can't find any hardware on it that would attach it to anything.

2) what is the best way to mount the MAF sensor to the housing? the stock hardware is too small, so should i just use a bigger screw or should i use a nut and bolt?

3) how does the filter mount? the seller forgot to send it with, so it'll probably make more sense once i have it here. just wanted to know.

4) what do i do about the breather?

5) what size dryer hose do i need to shove over the end to make a ghetto cold air?

6) do i need to use a svt snorkel? my stock snorkel is way too small

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
1. No, doesn't mount, just sits.
2. The maf connects to the tubing with a rubber gasket, then the maf has screw holes in it that line up with the intake box itself. The filter goes inside the box and a screw goes through the filter plate from within the box into the maf. That's how it's mounted. The stock screws should be suffice or the shipper should have sent some.
3. The filter attaches to a plastic mounting plate that is attached with a gasket ring as stated in 2.
4. The breather reconnects as OEM.
5. I unfortunately do not know, some type of hosing about 2.5in and tape would suffice.
6. I don't know why people do this mod, the svt snorkel. The same amount of air is let into the box itself, only the mouth is larger. You will see no gained effect. Consider the tubing a bottleneck. No how matter how large you open up either end of a tube it'll only be as large as the weakest link.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
1. box just chills

2. the maf sensor to the housing??? u mean the maf housing? or connectin the whole maf sensor + maf housing to the box? the screws are a pain if u cant get them to work then use what u gotta.

3. my filter was already mounted in the box but i can take pix for u in a couple days if u dont find any help

4. use the stock breather, hole on the bottom of the volant box

5. dryer house on the second runner i think is about 3" just get an adjustable hose clamp

6. dont need an svt snorkel, its a good idea to upgrade dont expect to notice too much of a dif though. myfordfocus.com has a howto on the svt snorkel upgrade

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I meant the maf sensor, within its own maf housing, connects to a gasket which connects to the box. Atleast that's how it was for me on my volant if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It helps to have someone hold the MAF housing as you bolt it onto the volant box, I did it all myself and it was a pain to try and do 3 things at once. [:)]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah, ok, let me see if get this correctly:

-the filter and MAF sensor is attached from the inside of the box... meaning the screw (or bolt) goes through some plate on that the filter is on or attached to and THEN into the MAF? man, what a PITA!

-do i just use the stock breather on that hole?

-so, no snorkel is necessary? i thought the volant was MADE specifically to work with the SVT snorkel, but i can see how it would work without it.

euro, if you could get me pics, i'd appreciate it. i'll be installing this thing the second the filter gets here!! (should be at the end of this week)

Mike

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
If you go to www.volantperformance.com (car intake section) and or www.newedgeperformance.com (intakes)they both have pretty good pictures of the Volant. The one at newedge shows it installed and the one at Volant shows it by itself but a good view to show how it all fits together.

And yes, you use the stock breather on the small hole on the lower left side of the Volant.
Take the "L" connector from your OEM air box and put it in the hole then attach your breather hose.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Actually, if you go to the Volant site go to the Volant car intake section and click on the
Focus part number listed it will bring up a photo of the Volant. Under that photo is a selction "view install" click on that and it gives areal good photo of the Volant installed.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
yeah the maf, plate, and box are a pain but its the only way it works. get an extra hand like oracle suggested.

used the stock snrokel, the volant is designed for the stock one, the fc is designed for svt.

yes the breather goes right in the hole

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Also, install the maf/filter into the intake housing itself BEFORE you put it into the engine bay. The screws have to line up just right for everything to fall into play.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, it's that rubber piece that holds the filter to the housing that i'm missing (besides the filter). just have to make sure i get that from the guy i bought this from. thanks, guys.

Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mike, where are you know? If in SD you can take a look on mine installed - a couple of Jetters helped me a while ago on one of their tech-days - and I can even help with that extra hand ;)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
eh, i'm up in SLO right now. i'm sue it'll all make sense once the other parts get here.

Thanks anyway, man.

Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
No problem. It's quite straightforward, you won't have any problem installing it for sure ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts