Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have Volant intakes, how would you rate the loudness ?
Compare to:
Mac shorty intake
Ractive (Metal tube)shorty intake
Iceman Intake with resonator duct

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
too many choices in the poll lol. well ive had the ractive, mac, aem, bomz, and heard 2 ebay rip offs and had one (only for a month) and id have to say the loudest were mac, aem short ram, and ractive. the ractive is loud more or less because it echos, doesnt really sound good. the volant doesnt echo and you hear more engine vs filter noise because the box blocks some of it out. jistrum can tell u about the ice man

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Microtonal I am trying to figure out the purpose of this poll, if you decipher that the Volant is quiet is that how your making your choice? By the sound? Not sure I understand why it matters?

Short rams are typically louder than a volant, if only for the fact that the volant uses an enclosed box. The Iceman is probably the quietest of the bunch.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
thats more like an multiple poll, it's not very loud under normal acceleration, and is quieter than perhaps all but the iceman under heavy acceleration. The iceman still uses the stock box with resonator removed which explains that, plus the cone filter is a bit louder than the panel. Overall it's not too loud, and not too quiet, nice part is it only gets loud under heavy acceleration, so you don't have to listen to it all the time.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping not to explain myself...

I currently have the iceman with the resonator duct. It's definitely louder than stock.
Actually, pretty growlly since my exhaust install when I punch the gas but it's tolorable.
I've had issues with the iceman upper duct not staying in place and I removed it after several months and installed my stock upper duct. So, I only have the iceman lower duct and resonator duct.
I now want to get a Volant but I've heard people say that cone filter shorty intakes are loud as hell and will piss off the neighbors.

So, my poll is basically asking if the Volant is loud like most of the cone filter shorty intakes or is it comparable to the iceman with the resonator duct as far as loudness.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
The Volant is not that loud at all in my opinion. I had a short RAM and replaced it with the Volant and it is definitely much quieter. Volant is still louder than stock but doesn't have that sucking sound of the filter that the short RAM does which I believe is a result of the Volant filter being contained in a box.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The iceman is quiet you can hear it suck a little.The only problem I have had with the iceman is that on the bottom of the snorkle there is a couple of small holes where the plastic has burned for some reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts