Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when using the volant intake... what else is needed... Is there a differance between the volant ram air and the Svt snorkel? do you need both? any help is great,

·
Registered
958 Posts
1) if u already have the car then u should have everything u need...the kit reuses some stock parts...but other than the tools to do the job the kit has everything

2) no u do not need the ram scoop it is optional

3) the svt snorkel is just bigger...hence allowing more air in...your stock snorkel will work fine...there is also the ability to add a second inlet to the volant box...u just need to buy the ducting to route it where u want it

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so are the ram air and and svt interchangeable? or do they work on seperate inlets? If not where do you get thte tubing to run off the second inlet?

·
Registered
365 Posts
The Ram air scoop attaches to the top of the Volant box, while the stock snorkle runs to the bottom, I'm running mine without the ram air option and it works great. If you were to get the ram air scoop you would be running the snorkle and the ram air at the same time.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
^^^mmm thats not entirly true. If you put on the ram air scoop the only part that you can use from the snorkle is the tube, since the ram air scoop attaches to the spot where the snorkle attachs at the front of the car, so its not possible to run both at the same time. The snorkle tube runs from the bottom of the box to the bottom of the ram air scoop. I kinda find it pointless, b/c it just makes an extra place for the air to travel through, so i just blocked of both the holes were it goes.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
please help... I'm about to buy one and don't understand the whole two inlet thing... can they be left open? should i swith to the ram or svt scoop? can you use both? If not what do you do with the second inlet?

·
Registered
384 Posts
thfc1799 said:
please help... I'm about to buy one and don't understand the whole two inlet thing... can they be left open? should i swith to the ram or svt scoop? can you use both? If not what do you do with the second inlet?
Save your self the money and buy the SVT airbox and snorkle and use a K&N filter. Dyno proven to make more power then the volant system. That test was done with stock airfilter in the SVT box and it still beat the volant hands down.

·
Registered
384 Posts
SVT, Its dyno proven. There shoud not even be a choice. PLUS its alot cheaper, The money saved can buy you more go fast goodies.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
the svt is alittle better, but the dyno they did didnt use the svt snorkle on the volant i dont think. Either way your getting basically the same gain, just one willl look and sound more stock, so if you want stealth go with the svt set up if you want the deep sound of the volant go with that. Oh and latly theres a bunch of people selling their volants for cheap, theres a few on ebay too if you want to check em out. Anyway ill try to explain the two hole thing. In the bottom of the volant box, there is a hole for the snorkle to go into. On the ram air scoop there is a hole where the snorkle hose goes into, why they made it this way im not sure, maybe they thought it woudl provide better gains having air coming in from the top and the bottom of the box. Anyway you can leave the bottom hole open on the box, but not advised b/c thats right next to the engine and ull be sucking all the hot air in. Also i think its kinda pointless to but the snorkle tube into the hole in the ram air scoop, so what is done on mine on both the box and the ram air is i plugged each hole with the bottom of a plastic bottle, and left a small hole for air to come into no more bigger then the width of a pencil. If you cant get the ram air, and honestly its alittle pricy for the gains that you get, which are not much at all, just get a svt snorkle and use it with your volant.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Look the best thing to do is pick up a used SVT air box and snorkle. Hook them up and use a K&N filter. It will give you the best bang for the buck. The money saved can buy you a UDP on ebay.

·
Registered
758 Posts
DrkKnight614 said:
^^^mmm thats not entirly true. If you put on the ram air scoop the only part that you can use from the snorkle is the tube, since the ram air scoop attaches to the spot where the snorkle attachs at the front of the car, so its not possible to run both at the same time. The snorkle tube runs from the bottom of the box to the bottom of the ram air scoop. I kinda find it pointless, b/c it just makes an extra place for the air to travel through, so i just blocked of both the holes were it goes.
I think he was reffering to the hole in the top of the box, that seals to the hood as the ram air hole. Wich if you had a hood scoop over it, it would be I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts