Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came in yesterday, went on yesterday night, fit was real snug, though I'm wondering if I'll have enough room for the FS strut tower bar. A few things I wish it had: Plastic nubs on the bottom of the box, that would seat into the stock rubber grommets and I wish the seal on the top opening was preinstalled, because it was a major BITCH to get on myself, and then there is one space that is not quite sealed. Otherwise I'm very impressed so far. The sound is great, especially when I shift into second and floor it. I've noticed quite a decent amount of gain from it. I'm waiting for the computer to learn that it has a new part as I'm still getting a bit of pop from the exhaust when I let off the throttle. Nothing major, just something I noticed. Also, I don't like the pop it makes when it starts now, almost sounds like the filter is popping. Either way, I give it a 9 out of 10. I'd give it the 10 except that seal thing was really a bitch. Pics hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Congrats :) and yeah that seal really is a pain in the neck. i opend my hood yesturday and the seal aparently fell inside the air box. so i dunno. i might try using some glue to keep it put. and i was also wondering if there is enough room for a strut bar now that the volant is in there. i've never seen a pic of a focus that had both. anybody know?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
pop eh? what kind of pop doesnt sound like. thats not normal. most front bars will not fit on with that box. ingalls engineering out here in co is going to be working with my focus soon to make stress bars for the big box intakes and engine mounts, front and rear camber kits and a few other things. if we get one done soon enough ill let u know so u can use it. did u reset ur ecu after the install?

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the noise is anything like the noise my FC intake made, it's not really a pop, it's just a really loud (from inside the car) knock, like the sound the air box makes vibrating against the metal bracketry when the engine torques over as you start it. It's hard to describe, but I know what you are talking about. It's one reason I took my FC out, because I felt like everybody could hear it outside... how embarassing... lol

·
Registered
456 Posts
EuroZX3 said:
did u reset ur ecu after the install?
Out of curiousity since I am planning to get a volant at the end of the month, how do you do that?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Disconnect your battery and leave it disconnected while you install the intake. That should be enough time for it to reset, then just reconnect everything, let it idle a bit and you are good to go!

It may take a couple days of driving for your ECU to relearn everything. It will perk up after a couple days.

·
Registered
688 Posts
n u should also disconnect the battery when changing ur cat-back, headers, ect to let the ECU there is sumtin new on the car so it can work better with it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Okay thanks.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did do the reset, and as LiquidZ said, it isn't so much of a pop I guess as it is a knock, but I resolved the problem by placing some soft foam around the edges of the box beside the battery cover and the fuse box. Also I had someone turn the car over while I was outside, and you don't really hear it at all, so I'm not concerned. However, the dealership told me that resetting the computer is practically useless since the car defaults back to stock parameters, and that it requires the same amount of time to learn that it has a new intake system as it would if you didn't. Not that I'm really willing to try that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts