Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my 1st post here, so excuse me if this is n00bish, but ive been looking for a Volant CAI for my 06 Duratec 2.0, but all I've been able to find are CAIs for the 2000-2002 model year.

So, does Volant make a CAI for the 05-07 models?

And, unrelated to CAIs, Ive been looking at wheels at TireRack, and whenever I do a search, it always shows wheels with 5 lug patterns on my results. My lug pattern is 4x108. Are the wheels theyre showing 4 or 5 lug models? It just seemed weird to me.

Thanks ahead of time!

Regards,
Matt

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for steering me in the right direction. I figured since the engine was pretty similar (if not the same) that most CAIs would be compatible with other years, but i just didn't know if the engine compartment layout changed enough to disallow using CAIs from different model years.

And thats kind of what i figured with TireRack. Thanks.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Welcome to the best damn Focus forum on Earth.

FYI, the Duratec(what You have) and the Zetec have zero compatible parts that I am aware of. The throttle body is in a totally different location(as are the intake and exhaust manifolds). I don't think Volant makes any goodies for the Duratec, though.

As for Tire Rack, You are correct, the pics are just a visual representation.

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah ive seen the pics of Duratecs vs Zetecs and kinda figured they had a little different layout. :) No Volant for the Duratec then? :( sad day...

Well, that being the case, is there a 2nd best option for a cool air intake? I know that the filter on the volant isnt down in the wheelwell, and living in rainy Washington state, puddles are a pretty realistic factor in this scenario. last thing I wanna do is suck up some water...

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm looking at the Steeda right now, and was wondering if its design is similar to the Volant? Because it looks pretty similar to Volant's... It looks like it has the same SRI style intake thats enclosed in the engine bay, but does it still have the snorkel (for lack of a better word) that reaches under the car for cold air? Sorry for the beginner questions...
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
and living in rainy Washington state, puddles are a pretty realistic factor in this scenario. last thing I wanna do is suck up some water...
Then you want the Steeda SRI. A "CAI" (cold air intake) will locate your filter down closer to the ground (and water). The Steeda intake is a quality piece, but you should probably do a search on it to see what it looks like installed, and any potential tuning issues you may want to anticipate ( and how to deal with them). [wave]

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Then you want the Steeda SRI. A "CAI" (cold air intake) will locate your filter down closer to the ground (and water). The Steeda intake is a quality piece, but you should probably do a search on it to see what it looks like installed, and any potential tuning issues you may want to anticipate ( and how to deal with them). [wave]
Tuning issues? I've put about 12k on my car since my Steeda intake, with zero issues, stock tune.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Tuning issues? I've put about 12k on my car since my Steeda intake, with zero issues, stock tune.

Fixed >>
"and any potential issues you may want to anticipate ( and how to deal with them). "

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@kylesvt,

What kind of performance gains are you seeing with your steeda? I'm leaning towards that pretty heavily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has tried a kool-vue CAI and if so how it worked? I am on a pretty tight budget and They are only about a hundred bucks for the kit. I have not talked to anyone who has ever bought one though. Its not really rocket science to manufacture one but I was wondering what the quality of the parts looks like? The picture and description seems like a K&N knock off,some bent aluminum tubing with rubber sleeves and a filter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
@kylesvt,

What kind of performance gains are you seeing with your steeda? I'm leaning towards that pretty heavily.
Steeda has a dyno chart showing a gain of ~6hp. But putting a SRI on your car alone isn't really going to do anything for the butt dyno.

I have a Steeda and love it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
ill just jump in real quick and say that you would have to do something honest to god stupid, like drive into water clearly deeper than the front end of the car, to hydrolock. I can say from personal experience from driving through a couple of inches of standing water with my filter sitting just above the splash guard that its very difficult to actually do.

Now with that said... No, Volant never produced an intake for the Duratec; however, there are other great options including the already mentioned Steeda, FSWerks, there is a decent one on ebay by HPS, the stealth set up, if your lucky you may be able to find a used Cosworth, and there is also K&N. Im sure there is more

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Not sure on the 2.0, but I felt a difference for sure on the 2.3 with the steeda intake. With these cars the stock PZEV intake is super long, like sucking thru a 6 foot straw. The car barks the tires a lot harder in 2nd, and lined up from a roll with my roommates stock ST, I do pull on him some. Its not a huge difference, but it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts