Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 03 SVT a few days ago and im looking to do some basic engine mods to it. The people i bought it from purchased the $1500 75,000 mile 5 year powertrain warrenty. The car being a 2003 and only having 36000 miles on it i have some serious time left on the warrenty. I am just starting to do reaserch on mods and what i want to do now is some exhaust, CPU and intake.

As far as exhaust as concerned i like the Borla cat back exhaust and headers.

http://www.borla.com/applications/l...T-304_Stainless_Steel_Cat-Back_System/140018/

I also would like a K&N cold air intake and the Diablo tune that everybody on these forums seems to love.

Will any of this void my warrenty? I need a little someting to amp up my ride and give me some more excitement! Thanks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
They can really cancel your warrenty whenever they want... some dealerships are really bad about that, some on the other hand are really cool with the work you do on your car. But basically as a rule of thumb, if a aftermarket part is thought to be the cause of a problem, your SOL.

Start with an intake, you can pull it off when you take to your dealer and slap the stock one back on.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Minor mods like that won't really void your warranty but they can affect it.

If you have a CAI or other aftermarket bolt ons and you pull in with driveablility issues they might tell you they can't perform warranty diagnostics untill the OEM parts are back on the car.

If you roll in with a Nitrous tank in the trunk and four rods poking through the block then you might have trouble getting it warrantied.

They can refuse warranty work if they think the issue is related to the aftermarket parts but they can't really void it for simple bolt ons.

·
Registered
714 Posts
any aftermarket performance parts on the engine will void the warrenty.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have an 02 with the 75k warrenty. I only have 37.5k on it right now though. I just put on my CAI. If it needs any work I will just put the stock stuff back on. Its not that big of a deal to do.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Yellow-ZX3 said:
any aftermarket performance parts on the engine will void the warrenty.
No, they won't. It's not a black and white issue.

These issues really are more dealer related, They can deny portions of it if the car has aftermarket parts particularly for driveability issues.

If you pull in with a poorly running stumbling car and you have a CAI and some other stuff they can tell you to put it back to stock before they look at it because that takes the aftermarket parts out of the loop.

Of course you could run into a dealer that will say your warranty is no good just because you have a K&N drop in filter.

Just ask your local dealership if they have any problem with minor bolt ons, it's very simple and simply asking the question will tell you if you should ever bring your car to that particular dealer.

I know of guys with VERY modified Cobra's that still get warranty work done because they have found a good dealer to work with.

·
Registered
532 Posts
^^ like they all say, the ford dealer in NY i talked to (a good friend) said that as long as my CAI I want is CARB approved and such, it shouldnt hurt anything. But the dealer down here in SC said that if I modified ANY part of the car that had to do with the drivetrain, intake, exhaust, ignition, etc... it would void the warranty.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Usualy its fine aslong as it doesn't break anything and then you expect the dealership to pay for it.

I dont have a problem with this at all because my dealership loves to modify there cars, Like one of the mechanics has the coolest 06 mustang soft top ever. vortech supercharger, side exit exhaust coming through the rockers ect.

also the put 12k in to another stand to sell on there show room floor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You guys are all wrong!!! No pressance of a after market part can legally void a manufactureer warrentee. google the Magnos Moss Warnety Act and see for your self. I'm sick of explaining this.

btw, I still have full warenty because I went to the deler with this information. They replaced my ecu, MAF, and three 02s so far. They really don't like me at all. But until they prove it, they can lick a dick or take me to court.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
dannybohhy said:
They can really cancel your warrenty whenever they want... some dealerships are really bad about that, some on the other hand are really cool with the work you do on your car. But basically as a rule of thumb, if a aftermarket part is thought to be the cause of a problem, your SOL.

Start with an intake, you can pull it off when you take to your dealer and slap the stock one back on.
Isn't the Borla sold by Ford Racing?

I thought if a part is sold by Ford Racing, and there is no disclaimer on the FRPP site about that specific part that it won't void the warrenty...?

·
Registered
759 Posts
^^^ I know nothing of specifics, but I wouldn't put it past some dealerships

·
Registered
584 Posts
plz do your homework before giving out advice like this

Half Time is absolutely correct. Virtually every time I browse through this forum, there's always someone stating "well, my dealer is cool and they don't mind but your dealer may give you some grief blah blah blah". First of all, let me spell this out for people who haven't properly researched this issue.....

IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A DEALER TO VOID A WARRANTY DUE TO A PERSON HAVING AFTERMARKET PARTS ON THEIR CAR!!!!! THE MAGNUSSON-MOSS ACT SPECIFICALLY STATES THAT THEY HAVE TO PROVE BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT THAT THE AFTERMARKET PARTS WERE THE DIRECT AND SOLE CAUSE OF THE VEHICLE'S MALFUNCTION THAT YOU ARE REQUESTING THE DEALER TO REPAIR!!!

And for those of you who may counter this statement with something to the effect of "well my warranty that I signed states that I won't put on aftermarket parts blah blah"

The Magnusson-Moss act also prevents auto manufactuers from structuring warranties that prevent a consumer from placing an aftermarket part on their car unless the dealer will supply replacement OEM parts AT NO COST TO THE CONSUMER!!!!

I don't think I can possibly explain this any clearer than I have thus far. So let's quit this stupid bickering about what one dealer does vs another. EVERY dealer is restricted to the confines of federal laws, which the Magnusson-Moss Act is.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Correct, It won't VOID a warranty but the dealer does not have to look at your car for driveability issues if yuou have aftermarket parts on the car.

Come in with a surge,stumble, misfire with a CAI and aftermarket coil and wires and they can tell you to bring it back when the OEM parts are back in place, They can't diagnose the car unless it has the correct parts on it.

Drive in with a coilover suspension2 1/2 inch drop and 18's and complain about squeaks,rattles, inaccurate speedo or a rough ride and you can be sure they won't cover anything because the car was not designed for that setup.

It won't VOID a warranty but it CAN affect your coverage.

·
Registered
210 Posts
^^^ +1 Well put.

In most cases, issues like what you stated will be handeled just as you said. And if the after market part is the cause, guess what guys, it wont be covered under warrenty. And like the drivablity issues, if you want it under warrenty, you need to have te OEM parts on thier in most cases for their test equipment to work, saince it is calibrated for teh OEM parts. IE if you have a larger throtle body and MAF, they can't test it to see if that is the cause for a lung or stumble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
klepto said:
I just picked up my 03 SVT a few days ago and im looking to do some basic engine mods to it. The people i bought it from purchased the $1500 75,000 mile 5 year powertrain warrenty. The car being a 2003 and only having 36000 miles on it i have some serious time left on the warrenty. I am just starting to do reaserch on mods and what i want to do now is some exhaust, CPU and intake.

As far as exhaust as concerned i like the Borla cat back exhaust and headers.

http://www.borla.com/applications/l...T-304_Stainless_Steel_Cat-Back_System/140018/

I also would like a K&N cold air intake and the Diablo tune that everybody on these forums seems to love.

Will any of this void my warrenty? I need a little someting to amp up my ride and give me some more excitement! Thanks.

I have one question for you.

Did you get your warranty transfered to your name. I am battleing with Ford dealers now. I am trying to get the extended warranty for an 03 SVT focus I just bought transfered into my name.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Void my Warreny?

TriPodRacing said:
I have one question for you.

Did you get your warranty transfered to your name. I am battleing with Ford dealers now. I am trying to get the extended warranty for an 03 SVT focus I just bought transfered into my name.

I am in the process now. The people that owned the car for me lost the title of the car so they had to fill out a specific DMV transfer of title to give me the actualy paper title. I am currently in the process of getting the warrently under my name. The people i bought it from are doing all the work and all ready sent me the paperwork that they sent to the dealership. I guess i just have to wait untill ford sends me my papers.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I think this is the most informative thread I have ever come across! WOO!! MAGNUSSON-MOSS KICKS ASS!

·
Registered
481 Posts
CaptainBoltus you said exactly what i wanted to.
again, pick your battles. i have a recurring p/s issue that i could've brang to ford but i thought my procharger voided my warranty. until i came across the m-m act, i thought i was done. since i came across that little gem, i will make sure that the last couple thousand miles are in the shop for whatever should be warrantied.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts