Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up!? so my car has a serious vibration and idle i dont know what it is the whole car shakes and its a a fast kinda hard vibration that is not normal it just started. motor mounts? mass air? what could it be its not a miss fire to strong and constint for that. help me out let me know

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Guess it depends on your definition of fast and hard.

It could be anything from a broken exhaust hanger to a bad crankshaft dampener.
A dampener might be on the fast side while the exhaust (and motor mount) would be on the slower side IMO.

Your best bet is to try and localize the sound, front (drivers or passengers side) or rear ... does it change with slight RPM increases ... does it do it in gear or only in neutral park ... if a manual trans, does it change if the clutch is released
Things like that will really help to narrow down the list and get you closer to solving/fixing the problem.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Pop the hood and check the passenger side motor mount. Search around, there are threads on how to inspect it for being faulty.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Passenger side motor mount:
Well this thing is filled with hydraulic fluid. See the big black plastic cap on the shock mount?
Well underneath is a 'bubble' filled with hydraulic fluid that holds the plastic cap up. Now see if you can move the cap up or down by a fraction of an inch.
If you can then the mount is bad, which means the fluid leaked out. Suspect also that the dogbone mount is shot also but I cannot tell you how to test that one.
Be aware, the passenger mount can be 'variably' bad from all the way from no fluid [little vibration] to mount guts lying on the road.
Ford OEM is the only way to go with these mounts [IMHO]
I think 2004 was the last year of the hydraulic mount

1 - 4 of 4 Posts