Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. This may be a strange question...at least I think it is anyway. I'm hoping someone may know what this is and why. I began using the a/c about 2 months ago - sign of me getting older I guess ...I was never one to use the a/c. Starting about 2 weeks ago, there is this 'vinegar' like smell that comes out of the vents when the a/c is first turned on. After about 5 minutes, the odor disappears. A/C works great - very cool - everything is operating the way it should be. Strange how the 'vinegar' smell just started. Does anyone know what this is...or is it a sign of something that's about ready to go out...or is it just one of those 'unknown' situations? Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well mine does something similar, but it doesn't smell like vinegar. I believe it is just the trapped air that has remained in your A/C system, you will also get a weird smell if there has decent change in temperature or humidity.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It's mold and crap growing on your Evap Core. You can cleaners to spray in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both replies make sense bigtime. Weather here in Missouri has been extremely humid, then recently last week the storm brought in much cooler weather, now, the temps are right back up with extremely high humidity. Extreme weather changes here. Luckily my Focus is fortunate to be garaged unless being driven - though I'm wondering if possibly the garage aspect may be contributing to mold growth as mentioned in reply above...no air movement in the garage, barely any ventilation? Most of her time is in the garage - not on the road. Maybe should let her sit outside sometimes? As you can see my technical knowledge is non-existant. She's due for her oil and filter change and rotation - will inquire about spraying some cleaners in there. Thank's ya'll.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I noticed the exact same thing in my car. I didn't spray anything to get rid of it. I figured it might be mold or something so one morning when it was cool out I drove my car around with the heat on full blast with all the windows rolled down, of course. I did this for about 15-20 minutes. No more smell when I turn the A/C on. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Turning off the A/C a few minutes before arriving at your destination seems to help also. This allows time for the warmer incomming air to warm up and dry out the evaporator core so there's less moisture for mold to grow on.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
its under the passenger side windsheild cowl. Some of the Foci don't have one(my 02 didn't), although there is a spot for them, from the factory they put just a plastic screen there.

I would recomend everyone put one in, they eliminate SO MUCH DUST from inside the car, it is amazing. I was flabbergasted how much of a difference mine made. (way more noticable than other vehicles)

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
its called a cabin filter...just to let u know..the 05 dont have one either...but its under the raintray on the outside under ure wipers,,i believe on the drivers side

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
BornAgainFordOwner said:
Turning off the A/C a few minutes before arriving at your destination seems to help also. This allows time for the warmer incomming air to warm up and dry out the evaporator core so there's less moisture for mold to grow on.
^^^Affirmative.
Just switch the A/C button off, but keep the fan going for a few minutes before shutting the car off.
This is a very common problem, and running the fan (without A/C) is the correct fix, even from the Dealer. [;)]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No prob...made me laugh. By the way....problem is gone. Just took some good driving around with the fan blowing, then making sure I turn off a/c a couple of minutes before destination - yet keep the fan blowing. Worked like a charm. Thanks all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts