Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
What are you gonna do about it. Because I plan on installing mine on friday, but my resonator doesn't get here until mon. But I have the second cat though...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i might get a new resonator from borla or something or stick a galss pack on it my friend had a galsspack and it sounded prety good well at least a lot better then mine does right now

·
Registered
367 Posts
how is it when the engine has warmed up, and you're just cruising around town??

How about getting on the freeway, and cruising there??

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cruz sounds like idle just a little loader, freeways depending on the speed your at and the rpm it all depends 55 is good anythign above that is loud i think im gonna fill the car with that sound dent. stuff, i hope that will help im not to worrued about what other people hear just what i have to deal with when i drive

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yeah its ok..i mean no offense to you..yay horsepower...but that first idle sounded like a weedeater.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Must we be reminded that these cars are still little four-bangers, and there isn't much to do sound-wise to change that. Most cars that make power are indeed louder anyway.

Everyone is always talking about "rice," and how this or that sounds like crap or whatever. Is there even a solid definition out there for the term "rice"??

I (and I know I'll get flamed for this, but I don't really care [:D]) have personally heard quite a few mid-90s B16s and 18s that have sounded just as good (or maybe even better) than some of the Foci I've heard in my life...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what rice means

Rice burner is a pejorative used initially to describe Asian-made—specifically Japanese-made—motorcycles and automobiles. Many variations have also been used, such as rice rocket for Japanese sport bikes.

More recently, the term rice burner, along with the prefix rice, has taken on an alternate pejorative meaning for an automobile that has been modified to give impression of high performance, but does not necessarily have any high-performance capabilities. This practice is in contrast to the "stealth" or "sleeper" style of automotive modification, where a vehicle may have major perfomance modifications, but the appearance remains similar to that of a stock model.

In some circles, or even entire regions of the U.S., the term rice car is used exclusively to describe Asian-made vehicles, modified or not. However, as more types of cars began being used as a platform for modification, including German and American-made cars, use of the term rice is no longer restricted to Asian-made vehicles. The most commonly modified cars are sport compacts, but the term can apply to any class of vehicle, including trucks.

Variations of this usage include, ricer, rice car, rice cooker, and rice mobile. As an adjective rice, riced out, riced up, and ricey can be used. Ricer can also refer to the driver of said car, in addition to rice boy (a reference to the usual age demographic in question). Ricing is the present progressive of modifying a car in the described manner.

also american 4 bangers are sometimes called "wheat burners" and german cars "pasta burners"

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also heres a good list of what a ricer normally does

Characteristics

Poser Mobile, a parody of commonly associated mods done by ricers."Ricing" (a term usually not used by the modifier himself) a vehicle is meant to emulate the aesthetic work of independent automotive car tuning companies who modify more than just appearance, and to give an appearance of greater ability than the car actually has. Ricing is generally looked down upon amongst people who perform engine tuning and other performance racing modifications.

Common aftermarket modifications in this style can include:

Body modifications
Aerodynamic-looking or artistically creative body kits
Wings and spoilers that serve no useful function
Many wings used are not tuned in windtunnels, and are not useful even at high speeds; they may cause excessive drag and wind noise as well.
Rear aerodynamic wings are normally used to increase downforce on the rear of car in order to increase traction for what typically are the rear drive wheels, whereas the use of a spoiler on a front wheel drive car has little effect on the drive wheel traction, and in some cases can reduce traction.
Carbon fiber hoods (sometimes fiberglass replicas made to look like carbon fiber, or just decorative self adhesive plastic with carbon fiber look)
Non-functional hood scoops
Excessively large wheels ("rims") (for example chromed, or "dubs") that often decrease acceleration due to higher rotational inertia. Handling is also often made worse by the extra unsprung weight.
Spinner wheel covers, which result in the wheels appearing to rotate either slower or faster than reality. These can be dangerous if improperly maintained, and also increase unsprung weight.
Dual windshield wipers replaced with a single-wiper mechanism
Improperly lowered suspension, such as stock springs shortened by heating or cutting. This action is frowned upon by both seasoned tuners and spring manufacturers. Heating a spring will remove the tempering and weaken it, ultimately causing failure, and cutting springs may severely compromise safety and handling characteristics.
Aesthetics
Bright paint or interior, frequently in contrasting colors
Decals and stickers for aftermarket parts not actually present on the vehicle
Sometimes with the name of the car's model in a stylized font, usually covering the upper rear window or front windshield
Or other lettering in kanji or kana characters
Badging from other higher-performance vehicles (Honda's "Type-R" and Nissan's "GT-R" being the most common)
Badging from JDM tuning companies like Mugen, Nismo, etc.
Other graphics that seem to not "fit" with the car (side graphics, flames, racing stripes, etc.)
A loud, free-flowing exhaust system with a large cylindrical resonator at the rear of the car, known as a "fart cannon" and many other colorful names. Some vehicles also sport dual-pipe catback exhaust systems with two exhaust tips. If carefully designed for the engine, these can provide a small performance increase—but typically, they lower the velocity of exhaust flow and thereby decrease power output.
In many cases, only the last few inches of the exhaust are replaced, producing no change in performance or sound. These are sometimes called "coffee cans", based on one method of constructing them.
Racing equipment used in an improper manner. For example, a racing tachometer, typically Auto Meter or other imitation brands as an cheaper option, used in an automatic transmission car that was meant to be used in a manual transmission car.
Lighting
Decorative neon and LED lighting in addition to the regular head/tail lamps and brake/turn signals, such as lighted windshield washer nozzles and tire valve caps, underbody neon lighting ("hover lights"), etc.
So-called "Bad Boy" headlights, meant to give a frowning appearance and popular in Europe
Euro-style taillights, also known as "Altezza"-style lights or "Altezzas" (equally popular and known as "Lexus" lights in Europe)
Super-bright headlight bulbs (although most of these bulbs offer better lighting than conventional halogen bulbs), sometimes of illegal specification and poorly aligned; colored bulbs, also often illegal, which are used for turning signals, side-markers, etc.
Unnecessary fog lights and extra lighting units usually intended for off-roading vehicles (often intended for Rally races), generally illuminated in inappropriate conditions or dangerous/illegal manners
Sloppy workmanship
Poorly fitted body kits
Areas of exposed primer and/or body filler (Bondo)
Car has any of the aforementioned modifications, yet appears to have not been properly cared for (dirty, parts of the car with smashed or dented body work, etc.)

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's awesome, dude. I always hear the term, but no one has ever given a proper meaning for it. I always feel more much more comfortable using terminology that I can fully explain. It's just funny how I can see a very tastefully done-up Integra that gets insults and the like thrown at it (cause it's SO ricey), as it smokes everything at the races (looks good doin it, too). But in my experience, it's just instinct to hate cars that are in the same class as your own that are significantly faster, better handling, etc. I'm not talking about anyone specific, this is in general.

For example, how much hatred have you personally heard toward the SRT-4 in the last year?
"Whatever you do, it's just a NEON!" That's the point, it's a relatively inexpensive car that can kick some serious ass in a straight line. Did everyone complain when the Charger was out?? That was a relatively inexpensive car that could kick some serious ass in a straight line...

Well, I guess, according to some, your car sounds "ricey" now, and hopefully, mine will tomorrow, if DHL delivers on time.

Lamar

·
Registered
111 Posts
That was Perfect!.. Rock on Wheat burners!~

·
Registered
111 Posts
P.S. know any good prices for the draxas..? Anyone releasing cheaper ones. I checked on Draxas site about a week ago and they were out of stock :-(

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Mods... you should make that a sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [hihi]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts