Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OT thread for General Car Chat.

Subject to change with every post - as long as it relates to a Focus or cars in general.
hello anyone I need help,my first day here and I have no idea how to that a new post ,but as far as the car I have a 2007 focus,but thats just it you can't focus if you look out the mirror because it vibrates so bad when its cold on high idle also in drive or reverse,I changed the lower torque arm,I know it's called some thing else like a roll something,but I changed the top tranny mount,top engine mount and the the little dog bone looking lower mount,and I used the OEM parts,not the cheap knock off one's,and the vibration never changed,it vibrates the steering wheel,it had loosen every plastic panel,head lights,grill,inner fender,exhaust and exhaust heat shields ,and has even loosen the front fenders and the wiper motor,this thing should of been sold as a vibrator not a car,but never less I need to get it fixed before pieces start to fall off

·
Wit Da Silva Bullit
4,609 Posts
Spazz in tx had something similar happen to him. .. u can ask him

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
hello anyone I need help,my first day here and I have no idea how to that a new post ,but as far as the car I have a 2007 focus,but thats just it you can't focus if you look out the mirror because it vibrates so bad when its cold on high idle also in drive or reverse,I changed the lower torque arm,I know it's called some thing else like a roll something,but I changed the top tranny mount,top engine mount and the the little dog bone looking lower mount,and I used the OEM parts,not the cheap knock off one's,and the vibration never changed,it vibrates the steering wheel,it had loosen every plastic panel,head lights,grill,inner fender,exhaust and exhaust heat shields ,and has even loosen the front fenders and the wiper motor,this thing should of been sold as a vibrator not a car,but never less I need to get it fixed before pieces start to fall off
I had the same problem on my 07 ZX4. I tried everything but never changed. The vibration wasn't too crazy but it was very noticeable. There was another member who had the same problem on his 06. It's a mk1.5 thing I guess. Try talking to your ford dealer if it's that bad. They will know more.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

First question/suggestion is on installation, since a few have had continued vibes if the mounts weren't installed in a "neutral" position to allow free drivetrain movement.

Not much can be done with the RMM (dogbone), but the driver's side & particularly the passenger side have movement enough in the mounting holes to be preloaded a bit when installed. If you loosen the mounting bolts for them & wiggle the drivetrain to a position it seems to take naturally before tightening (slight jacking to take some weight off) it could help a bit.

I assume there isn't a crunch in the car's history that could move a passenger side mounting point.

Next questions would involve running condition & if the engine is currently running smoothly itself.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
All that.

If the dogbone has a distorted pocket so that metal from frame of car can touch the outside ring then it will vibrate if you change mount 30 times. Gravel or rocks stuck in the pocket can do it too. The damping action must be clean there and any shortcircuit of that by car touching the engine without going through that damping will vibrate, on any position.

Normally no great care needed to neutralize mounts but if one simply happens to add all spaces up wrong the engine could be really tilted in there to do it.

Does that motor have balance shaft, could be something wrong with motor.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Balance shaft assy. is only on the 2.3's and the turbo 2.0 in the '12+ ST's. (same setup & delete parts if desired)

2.0 Duratec doesn't have one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bad vibration when cold at hi idle on a 07 focus

we replaced both mounts and the tranny mount with OEM parts but the vibration is still there,you can feel it in the steering wheel real bad,it has vibrated all the plastic's loose under the hood and the inner front fenders,has anyone else had this problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no it is real clean in that little pocket and the dog bone mount is not hitting,I sprayed spme white paint in the little pocket ,just a thin coat then let dry before I put the dog bone mount back it,and its not hitting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no it wasn't in a wreck,but I think I know what your saying,when I put the passenger side in,the one under the coolant tank,when I put it in I did let the engine down before I tighten the bolts all the way,just so it would center by it's own weight,maybe I will loosen the drivers side up so it will kinda center it's self

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Jack slightly to relive all tension then move the mount plates to where the bolt holes are close to the center of the big holes in plates. The pass side will easily move like 2 inches there. Leave the dogbone bolts threaded in fully but loose while doing it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Is the engine running good, or does it have any miss or stumble while driving?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I relaxed the drivers side top mount and I went ahead and did the same again to the passenger side,wiggled the engine around so it would settle center,tighten it all down,but still had some vibration,but not as bad,but what I found is the bolt was too long and was hitting the rack-n-pinion when I changed the mount the firs time so I swapped the to bolts around but I believe that the threads had tighten up when they put the longer blot in the pocket side,and by the threads tighten up the mount was not tight,and when I swapped the bolts I did use a spacer but I believe the bolt wore and gave it to much slop in the mount and the pocket bolt holes,so I measures the mount and made an adjusting dog bone mount,kind of like a new torque arm on a big truck,with threads,but it has never been as calm as it is now,you cant even hear it idle from inside the car,thanks everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts