Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '12 has a noticeable vibration when I first start it up each morning. Once the engine warms up, the idle vibration more-or-less goes away (or at least it calms down). I thought it was due to the presence of a P0420 error, but this past Saturday I replaced the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter, which took care of the P0420 error. However, this morning the vibration was still there. I put in new spark plugs roughly 15k miles ago (last year), thinking this might fix it. A new air filter went in this past weekend, too. Also of note, when I apply WOT, there feels like a slight hesitation before we see much acceleration.

I'm budgeting for Tom's Tune in the next month or two, so maybe this will fix it? In any case, the SCT X4 has better Live Data monitoring that my Innova scan tool, so the SCT should help me identify the issue.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,209 Posts
My '12 has a noticeable vibration when I first start it up each morning. Once the engine warms up, the idle vibration more-or-less goes away (or at least it calms down). I thought it was due to the presence of a P0420 error, but this past Saturday I replaced the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter, which took care of the P0420 error. However, this morning the vibration was still there. I put in new spark plugs roughly 15k miles ago (last year), thinking this might fix it. A new air filter went in this past weekend, too. Also of note, when I apply WOT, there feels like a slight hesitation before we see much acceleration.

I'm budgeting for Tom's Tune in the next month or two, so maybe this will fix it? In any case, the SCT X4 has better Live Data monitoring that my Innova scan tool, so the SCT should help me identify the issue.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like an engine mount has gone bad.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Replace the passenger side motor mount with a Motorcraft OEM replacement and it will smooth right out. It's a hydraulic motor mount and when they fail and leak down, it's metal on metal inside the motor mount but you can't usually see it just by looking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have mentioned that the motor mounts (passenger side hydraulic and lower transmission units) were replaced when I did the spark plugs roughly a year ago.

Just before I got home yesterday, a CEL came up (roughly 45 minutes into my 55 minute commute). I scan check came up with a P0131 error code (oxygen sensor 1 voltage issue). I looked at the LAMBDA voltage and it was steady at around 0.960V. I'm not used to seeing a constant voltage out of an oxygen sensor. I would expect to see it cycle high/low, from nearly 0V to 1V. My downstream sensor has a near constant voltage of roughly 0.650V, except when accelerating or decelerating. Furthermore, when driving into work today, I monitored the LAMBDA voltage. It went as high as 1.999V (where I assume the thing just maxes out) down to nearly 0V, but it mostly cycled from 0.950V to 1.030V while cruising at highway speeds. Do LAMBDA sensors cycle in this range, as opposed to the 0.0-1.0V range for other oxygen sensors? Is my LAMBDA sensor bad? After I cleared the P0131 code last night, I haven't seen a new CEL.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Just before I got home yesterday, a CEL came up (roughly 45 minutes into my 55 minute commute). I scan check came up with a P0131 error code (oxygen sensor 1 voltage issue).

After I cleared the P0131 code last night, I haven't seen a new CEL.
I got a P0131 over a month ago. My car would stumble now and then when I was rolling to a stop in neutral (5spd). I cleared the code and it came back a few weeks later. Changed the upstream O2 sensor and the code and stumble went away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the upstream O2 sensor and the code and stumble went away.
Thanks saintsfins. I purchased a set of sensors (upstream and downstream) from Rockauto a few hours ago. They should be here Friday and installed this weekend. I probably should have replaced them when I did the catalytic converter this past weekend, but I didn't think they were a problem. FYI, Rockauto had both sensors, Bosch brand, for less than the dealership wanted for one of them. Score!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New oxygen sensors are in. Upstream and downstream. The cold idle vibration is reduced, but still noticeable. I've run it about 400 miles already, so I assume everything is broken in. The P0131 error had been gone for 2 days before the new sensors were put in, so I'm not sure my original sensors were bad.

I'm not sure what the next thing to look at would be. Throttle body? Throttle Position sensor? MAF? Coils?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Did you use a Motorcraft psm or a aftermarket one? Ford oem psm only........

·
Registered
915 Posts
I should have mentioned that the motor mounts (passenger side hydraulic and lower transmission units) were replaced when I did the spark plugs roughly a year ago.
Like Felix is suggesting, if you used aftermarket mounts, the passenger one may have already failed. The Motorcraft PSM isn't great, but the aftermarket ones seems to be complete shyte.

Mine developed a bad vibe around 100K miles. Swapped the PSM with a Moto one, and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,209 Posts
Aug 20, 2019 · #4
Can you confirm you used a Motorcraft passenger side mount? Parts store mounts fail quickly or immediately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No Motorcraft mounts were used. I purchased a set from Rock Auto. The PSM [thumb] was an Anchor 3103 (which is apparently no longer offered by the Rock). The lower mount was an DEA/MARMON RIDE CONTROL A5520 (not the Focus Electric version).

Sounds like I'll have to hit up my local parts shop for the Motorcraft on and give it a go. At least it's an easy swap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts