Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, 01 zx3 with the zetec, 180k miles. Just did a tune up the other day, plugs wires, gaskets, hoses, pcv, intake cleaning etc. After doing this, I have noticed a very strong vibration at idle when cold. The temps around here are just starting to get cold, which is probably why I didn't notice it before.

The vibration is very strong when cold and at idle. The rpm's will go up to 1500-2000 like normal, but the vibration is still there. If I tap the gas, even just a little bit, the vibration goes away until the rpms drop back to idle. Putting the trans in neutral seems to help a bit, but it's still there. Once the car warms up, the vibrations go away I would say about 75%, but it's still a little noticable when idling at a light. I'm thinking motor mount maybe? How hard are they to replace myself? I'm fairly good with most little work, but I dont have a garage and I only have one jack, so I can't really do a whole lot in my driveway.

On a side note, not sure if it's related or not. I had a vibration when turning to the right in the front driver's side tire. The 2 front tires were old anyway, so I figured that was the problem. Put 2 new tires on the front, and the vibrations seemed to go away, but then a few days later they are back. Took the car to the dealership, they couldnt find any suspension problems or anything wrong with the tires. I didn't think to ask about the motor mount though. Could this be related to the bad motor mount?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Passenger side motor mounts are usually the culprit. Not hard to replace. 3 bolts and 2 nuts to remove the mount and bracket. 1 more nut and you are done. All easy access. Be sure to support the engine with your one jack, a piece of wood under the oil pan works good.
I suggest to use an OEM mount.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts