Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this all happened last week, wondering if anyone can shed any light on what might possibly be happening?

Last Thursday, I came home and noticed my rear left tire seemed not completely pressurized, visually checked, and lo and behold, there was a big ol' bolt sticking out of it right in the center groove, causing a slow leak. I get out my puncture repair kit (the old kind, not the foam one), and realize its going to be a bit tough with the angles not taking the wheel off, so I get out the jack, lift the car, take three of the nuts off with the tire iron that came with the car... get to the fourth, start applying pressure - nothing. Apply a bit more, still refusing to budge. So I decide to stand on it and put some weight into it... and that's when the nut broke off with half the stud still inside of it. I patch the tire up just so that the evening doesn't go to waste.

So the next day I dropped by the Ford dealership, picked up a new nut and stud, and took the car to my mechanic because I didn't have an impact wrench available. He fixes everything, puts it back in place, and once I get onto the highway, right around 50, there starts to be a really annoying high-frequency vibration, almost like the one of the wheels is running over tiny bumps in the road every so often.

Any ideas as to what the heck this can be? I was thinking maybe balance is off, but the stud and nut are close to the axis of rotation and original parts, so they shouldn't have messed it up. So I'm pretty much lost for ideas, and any input would be much appreciated!

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
is this the front or rear?....I'm assuming it's the rear....

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
get the tire rebalanced. simple.

also, if the bolt was big enough, it might have done some damage to the belts of the tire. separating belts will cause vibration in the tire

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update for future reference to anyone who might be having similar issue:

Went to a tire shop, get the tire rebalanced, see what else they can do. He took tire off, put it on the machine, and apparently the tire was in almost perfect balance, so that wasn't it. When we were putting the tire back on though, we noticed some substance that the shop guy said was corrosion but looked more like the white buildup that happens on battery terminals to me. Anyways, there was a good 2mm of it on the drum surface which the wheel lies against. It wasn't even. Lo and behold, we cleaned the surface of the drum off, took it for a drive, and that was it.

So conclusion: clean corrosion on the wheel-drum mating interface before reinstalling your rear tires!

Thanks again for the help to those guys who replied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts