Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchsed a 2003 ZX3 2 days ago.

yesterday and this morning, i have issues with accelerations in the morning. when i hit the gas, i feel the car hestiate and vibrates. But when i drive it for a few miles, and a few times, then it will go away later. the check engine light came up yesterday, the shop told it's "misfire" and they will charge me $100 more if they do detail analysis.

need some help...could it be bad lower Oxygen sensor? or TPS? or just needs a tune up.

this car has 73000 miles on it and it was in the storage for a year before i bought it...

help...can't afford to spend any more money on this car. just had 4 tires replaced and breaks and rotors

·
Registered
142 Posts
if it was in storage for a year a tune up would be best , change the fluids throw on a new belt, its a posibility of a bad sensor but i think it would be a more constat prob if that was the case

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
know what? do what I did..... if you know how to do everything yourself, do it...... if not, just take it to a tune up shop and ask them to put it in the best condition possible.... I did, and $1200 later I had a car that was well, almost two times as good. my brakes were almost dead too, and I had a few other issues, but it's really worth it if you want to keep it in good condition

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Plug wires/Coil is a good bet. --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174485

But I'd say a "normal" tune up should be done also, plugs (Motorcraft), wires (Ford Racing or MagnaCores), fuel filter (Wix or Motorcraft), Check the air filter (if replacing use a K&N drop in), etc.

If you need any help with repairing it/fixing it just let me know. I'm about an hour from you, give or take, and I really don't mind helping out on weekends.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
yeah all that..... plus get the all the systems flushed... systems fluid flush = 2-3 regained mpg and more powah [:D] (well, regained power at least)

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
preferably Motorcraft, because those are the factory brand and the best for your focus IMO.... but if you're getting new plugs wires and coil, why not get some performance ones, like from Massive? just a thought.....

oh but you could also use bosch plugs, though I really honestly haven't ever touched a spark plug yet to really know which is better...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Bosch are a big no no in the Focus.

Refer to my first post about brands.

and yes I can help out, but not for a couple weeks, about 3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem went away after I drive the car for a few miles/times. But today, it didn't...it didn't go away at all...I am now worried...

OK, I will try to get parts from the dealership...and will try ot install it this weekend, can't wait...don't want to screw up the engine.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Bosch are a big no no in the Focus.

Refer to my first post about brands.

and yes I can help out, but not for a couple weeks, about 3.
that's why I mentioned the part about never touching sparkos :D

so sorry if I make you say this again, but simply put, which are the best sparkers for foci?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 more question...what is a good place to buy Motorcraft parts? Dealership? or online? if online, what is the part number? help???

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
1 more question...what is a good place to buy Motorcraft parts? Dealership? or online? if online, what is the part number? help???
ok ok....did your foci come with the driver's manual? if so (I hope so) it has all the part numbers for everything (unless they've changed them, which they really shouldn't have...)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
after some research...i think i got them
plugs = SP478
wires = WR5974
air filter = FA1688
oil filer - F6986B

But i will change plugs and wires first. Do you think I need to have the coil change as well? it's a lot of expensive....

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
uh... I shouldn't be saying this if I don't know, but no? yeah it'd be expensive, but it's responsible for giving the electricity. hey I can't remember if this was already said, but maybe the wires are on wrong? that'd give a wrong firing order... gah I just need more experience.....

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
what is the right order? how can i tell? can't find it online yet...
well I know the firing order is 1-3-4-2.... and number 4 is the furthest to the passenger side (somebody tell me if I'm wrong, I don't want to screw it up)[paranoid]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts