183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what can be causing this? When I sit in the morning and

warm up my car as soon as the RPM drop just very, very little below 800 rpm

I can feel a slight vibration. Of course I am comparing this to my dad's

2008 Toyota Camry that I cannot even hear the engine that is on. I have

replaced the PCV hose that was all sucked in, also the front PCV elbow hose

that holds the PCV done, I have replaced the sparkplug, spark plug wires,

fuel filter, air filter and I still get a slight vibration in the steering wheel and I

can even feel it in my seat... When of course the car has traveled about 10

plus miles it purrs like a kitten the vibration is now very, very minimal and I

cannot even tell my car is on.

Let me know what you guys think is going on??

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
687 Posts
your car just needs to warm up, its pretty normal. I can't speak for everyones car, but all the focus cars I have driven always run like crap when your first turn them over when they are real cold.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If you feel a strong vibration i'd say check out your engine mounts... but i'd say it's just due to your cold starts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is another question how to I check my haudralic motor mount on the passenger

side? I had people tell me there is a how to check, but I am having a hard time finding

this one...

Also my car does not extremely vibrate just a very, very smile vibration sometimes I feel

it sometimes I don't.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
156 Posts
whynotthinkwhynot wrote a test for the engine mounts. I had it copied in a text file, here is the quote:

Bad motor mounts can cause a "thunk" but only under acceleration. The way to diagnose a bad motor mount is to engage the emergency brake, chock the wheels, and put the engine in gear. Have an assistant observe the engine movement. If the engine moves more than an inch or two in the engine compartment, then inspect the motor mounts closer. This is easier to do with an automatic transmission. The engine movement will be violent and you might even be able to see rips and tears in the upper motor mount if that is the damaged mount.
I can tell mine is screwed because when I change gears from N to D the engine swings and it is even scary. The vibrations are actually pretty hard, you should be able to notice a drop down in vibrations if you put the car in N when you are at idle.

I hope it helps

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not anything at this time I am waiting for this weekend so I can work on my car.

Mine is a standard 5 speed.

I will do my best to keep you guys up to date on what is going on by Monday.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
the hydrolic mount has a cover on it and it is on the passenger side kind of between the coolant resivour and the timing cover and brake resivour as well

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more questions.. Where in the car do I have to lift from in order to change the passenger side mount? The Oil Pan or the from the Transmission???

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wrote a manual about how I changed mine. Basically i put a jack under the engine, there is no oil pan in the SPI, the block contains the oil and it's made of solid metal you can not bend. You need to put you jack as close as possible to the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
well he hada zx3 so it is a zetec so yes jack it up up from the oil pan with block of wood

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I changed the motor mount finally and yes the vibration is almost gone. I can still feel it a little, but I am thinking it might be due to another mount...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts