Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the upgraded Sony stereo in my Focus. Today I had a vibration in my driver side rear door during some bass heavy music I was playing. Any tips for fixing it? I played with it a bit when I got home but could not find any obvious issues. Seems to be as secure as my passenger rear door and no loose trim anywhere.... I will have the dealer take a look but in my past experiences dealers suck at fixing that stuff.

Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
This is a pretty common issue. I went into my dealer when I first noticed this and they fixed it for a while. The problem you'll run into by using the dealer is that they can only put ford stuff in the doors. To really fix problems like this you probably need to take the door panel off and throw a piece of dynamat in. I'm going to do this to mine eventually but I haven't bought door clips yet and don't want to deal with a loose door panel.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
To really fix problems like this you probably need to take the door panel off and throw a piece of dynamat in. I'm going to do this to mine eventually but I haven't bought door clips yet and don't want to deal with a loose door panel.
Let me know when you go through with this! I'm planning on doing the same thing, but it seems that I always run out of days to complete my many automotive projects. Pretty much everyone I know (friends/family) that has a car problem comes to me for cheap/free labor and then I never get to do my own projects!

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I don't know what the inside of the doors look like on the mk3, but on my 2011 there are metal clips that the screws go into to hold the door panels. When the music is up loud, these clips will rattle against the metal door frame and make an awful racket. I ended up having to wrap the clips in electrical tape. This isn't pretty but once the interior panel is back on you can't see them and you definitely won't hear them again. Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is a pretty common issue. I went into my dealer when I first noticed this and they fixed it for a while. The problem you'll run into by using the dealer is that they can only put ford stuff in the doors. To really fix problems like this you probably need to take the door panel off and throw a piece of dynamat in. I'm going to do this to mine eventually but I haven't bought door clips yet and don't want to deal with a loose door panel.

By "door clips", do you mean the clips need to be replaced every time you take the door off? Or is it just something you'd want to change when installing the Dynamat?

I brought my Focus to Ford for this problem in the front passenger door; all they did was replace the clips, and it worked for about four days...

·
Registered
747 Posts
By "door clips", do you mean the clips need to be replaced every time you take the door off? Or is it just something you'd want to change when installing the Dynamat?

I brought my Focus to Ford for this problem in the front passenger door; all they did was replace the clips, and it worked for about four days...
They probably don't need to be replaced but if I'm taking off my door I'm going to be damn sure that I never do it again.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I have the upgraded Sony stereo in my Focus. Today I had a vibration in my driver side rear door during some bass heavy music I was playing. Any tips for fixing it? I played with it a bit when I got home but could not find any obvious issues. Seems to be as secure as my passenger rear door and no loose trim anywhere.... I will have the dealer take a look but in my past experiences dealers suck at fixing that stuff.

Thanks.
FOAM!! a truck load of foam!

That's what I did!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FOAM!! a truck load of foam!

That's what I did!
One of my disappointments with the car so far. Kick ass stereo with rattling door panels. The stereo is meant to be played loud and you gotta hear rattle rattle in the doors.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
One of my disappointments with the car so far. Kick ass stereo with rattling door panels. The stereo is meant to be played loud and you gotta hear rattle rattle in the doors.
Or try to isolate the frequencies that make things vibrate a lot...

The worst for me wasn't the bass but close to mid-range (ex. someone talking on the radio) lowered in the sound setting the mid a bit and its fine...

I used foam at the end because pins from the door panel were not tight enough with the removal/installation multiple times.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I actually dynamat'd all 4 doors and the trunk in my hatchback. It is pretty straightforward. Took the speakers off and put dynamat behind them through the seating gap those speakers sit in. Just BE CAREFUL you don't put dynamat on the metal column just to the left of that gap. The window retraction system brings the window down on those.
As well, you can put dynamat in all the places where the factory installed foam in the centre of the door panel doesn't cover.
As for the places where the interior trim sits on the doors, I slapped on some cut up pieces of weather seal foam to provide resistance between the trim and the door itself so that it can't vibrate. Foam around the places where the plastic clips sit as well to prevent vibration. Another trick I found is to stick a bit of foam into the clip seats them selves so they don't slide back and forth in their grooves. I can now crank up the base to 80% and not a single door rattles. Now I just gotta figure out how to get the interior bits to settle down with the bass that high.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

Hi sketch,

When was your most recent visit to have this looked at, and has it been resolved since? Please let me know some more details on your door concern, along with your mileage, and I'll look into some options.

Meagan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts