Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone's 2012 Focus vibrate whenever the car is at idle? It wasn't there when I first bought the car and I am just wondering if it is a normal thing. I opened the hood and it looks like it's from the engine vibrating back and forth and the vibrations are propagating through the rest of the car. It isn't extremely bad, but it is definitely noticeable. I have bout 2500 miles on the car now.

I took it into the service shop again to have them look at the shuddering problem with the new transmission and mentioned the vibration to them. They made sure all the connections were tight and that's about it. The tech said he thinks the vibrations are normal, but I just can't imagine that it's normal for a car that's less than 2 months old to vibrate at idle. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
724 Posts
99.9% of the time ours is perfectly smooth. The .1% is once after idling stuck in a traffic jam for a good 15 minutes it started to shake noticeably but once moving it was again smooth at idle and hasn't done it since.

Inline 4cyl engines with balance shafts are very smooth or should be.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I took it into the service shop again to have them look at the shuddering problem with the new transmission and mentioned the vibration to them. They made sure all the connections were tight and that's about it. The tech said he thinks the vibrations are normal, but I just can't imagine that it's normal for a car that's less than 2 months old to vibrate at idle. Let me know what you think.
Hi akelley3,

Without experiencing the vibrations myself, it's difficult to say if it is normal. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will help with your concerns. Talk to you soon!

~Natasha

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Mine slightly vibrates as well, its not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've the same problem with my ford focus 1.6 tdci !!! It is extremely bad, and definitely noticeable. I have bout 12500 miles on the car now. The tech said he thinks the vibrations are normal, but I just can't imagine that it's normal for a new car !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 FORD Focus has the same issue. I did 1900 and it started this issue around 1500+. The vibration was not there when I bought it so I do not think this is NORMAL. For a new car and for a FORD this is NOT normal. I already mentioned this when I went for complementary service last week but seems like they did not even give my comment any value. I will contact main Ford Customer Care here in Australia today/tomorrow to discuss further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vibration at Idle

I took my 2008 in to check for the vibration. My regular mechanic checked everyting out, and as some of you posted on my original note, it was the motor mounts. They are so badly worn that they can't be adjusted, or whatever. I have 49,000 on the car and live in a very dry climate (New Mexico), so mechanic indicated they might have dried out ?.
Anyway, thank's for mentioning that. I'm getting them replaced.

·
Registered
100 Posts
[giddy]
most all 4 cylinder all shake and shimmy
On a serious note, I notice vibration on this one. Maybe a poll would be in order for all the 2012 owners related to vibration issues. This may be a class problem.

Reactions: deestop

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
[giddy]

On a serious note, I notice vibration on this one. Maybe a poll would be in order for all the 2012 owners related to vibration issues. This may be a class problem.
Hi markwb,

Have you been to your dealership so a Ford certified tech can take a look? They're in the best position to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Additionally, I'm happy to escalate your case; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Have a great day!
Crystal [thumb]

·
Registered
99 Posts
My '08 SES slightly vibrates as well, but it has had the motor mounts checked and everything seems okay. Plus, its not that bad. I honestly don't even think about it much. I'm thinking its going to end up being a normal Focus thing.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Just had motor mounts replaced. Solved the vibration. I agree, Ford should look into it and maybe make some changes.
Thanks for the update, sandiaman; I'm glad to hear that your concern was resolved.

If you have any future concerns, you know how to reach me!

Have a great day,
Crystal

·
Registered
1 Posts
f2012 focus vibration at idle

my 2012 focus auto vibrates at idle --goes away when in gear and start accelerating--ford tech told me its the clutch in the auto transmission.Does anyone agree --never heard of it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
My '08 SES slightly vibrates as well, but it has had the motor mounts checked and everything seems okay. Plus, its not that bad. I honestly don't even think about it much. I'm thinking its going to end up being a normal Focus thing.
Yeah. Mine started doing this at the exact same time they replaced the throttle body. It idles lower with A/C off than it used to but it gets 3 mpg more to the gallon, so I just live with it. Living in the south the A/C is almost always on anyways, even in the winter (for Defrost).

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
my 2012 focus auto vibrates at idle --goes away when in gear and start accelerating--ford tech told me its the clutch in the auto transmission.Does anyone agree --never heard of it!
I don't agree with it because I have a manual transmission and mine vibrates at idle. I think it's a normal characteristic of the vehicle (I know how much we all hate hearing that). Mine's even a little worse now that I installed the focus electric rear motor mount. It's the most noticeable on cold start ups at idle. Once the car warms up it's not as bad but still there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Focus SEL Standard 2012 Vibration

I have a vibration issue as well. Started at about 20,000 Km.

Dealer replaced an engine mount, but problem still there. Dealer says on hoist, vibration occurs between 20k and 25K revs. I get it all the time when driving. Around town, it is barely tolerable, but once on the highway, the vibration moves up from the steering wheel into my arms and up from the pedals and the floor to my legs and after about 10 minutes it feels like my whole body is vibrating. Also starting to hear some squeaks and rattles that were not there before. I guess any machine that vibrates constantly will eventually start to loosen up. I have a call into Ford Tech Centre and they are going to talk to the dealer. Should hear back next week and will let you know the results. The car is basically undriveable on the highway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tell the dealer to look at the flywheel.... had a similar issue and after 10 mos of refusing to go away... they finally got serious. Found the flywheel wss underbalanced.... replaced the flywheel with the upgraded unit now available In the 2014 focus.

GET THE DEALER TO REPLACE THE FLYWHEEL.... IT IS THE UNDERLYING PROBLEM.!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts