Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got these lights I've wished the LED strip didn't draw the eye so much when it wasn't illuminated. But I still think they are great. Getting rid of those chrome stockers was a necessity. I also always envisioned the side reflectors and turn signal lenses darker. But hey, I didn't build them and I still think they are cool.

When I first got them there was a wire wandering his way through my high beam housing. Pretty annoying, but I'm easygoing. I can live with it. That's when I first had the urge to open these guys up.

Then on a hot day this summer after a good rain I had condensation all up in there. The glue holding them together on that day felt like I could've pealed the housing off right then and there. (Very soft. Not like permaseal.)

Things were cool for a while. I can live with a little condensation from time to time. Then two weeks ago this happened, and I was as fed up as Samuel L Jackson was with all those snakes on that mother[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g plane.

And so, the project began...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After all the research I decided on baking them at 200° for five minutes. I read on some fourm to remove the bulbs first. It sounded like a pretty good idea to me.

I had to put them in the oven twice, since the original glue used was like chewing gum, that's all I needed. I put the light on a cookie sheet and it BARELY fit. There was less than half an inch clearance in the front corner and the tab in the back. I got lucky. This project would've been finished before it started.

I mostly used a flat head screwdriver. Tools you can use can vary I suppose, but there is one that you must use, patience.

I then learned these guys are in three pieces. As scary as they first looked, the clear housing is only held on with three tiny screws.

(Girl scout cookies are not necessary, but recommend.) Next, I taped off everything not getting smoked.

My problem with VHT has always been restraint. But I am proud of myself for the self control to not go too dark. (Two coats, ok three, but the first was just a light base coat.) And two coats of clear. Don't forget clear if you ever want your nightshade to shine.

I have to admit. It was exciting to take that tape off.

I skipped the wet sanding that I would normally do because to be honest I was too excited. But I still hit the sprayed parts with some rubbing compound, then wax.

I used the 3M ribbon sealer for the housing. Then pressed them together, baked them again (200° 5 min) and used a crap load more ribbon sealer on the edges to try and ensure I got that air tight.

I was so involved in that ribbon sealer that it wasn't until I was finished that I looked out the window and saw it was snowing.

That's not stopping me. These bad boys are going in today.

Full test. Everything works.

Questions?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kept them halogen. At least for now. When I was researching for this project I was very much interested in making the switch to HID. Thinking that because they would be in a projector, they wouldn't be obnoxiously bright. I could buy a bulb kit from the retrofit source or somewhere, then figure my way through all that wiring, and resistors and crap.

But, to do the HID, and do it correctly. It would require also purchasing HID projectors, and the additional task of swaping them out with the halogen projectors. Also by keeping it simple I was able to do it in a day.

So, I figured this project was already a challenge for me, with many ways it could have gone wrong. And for me personally the risk of the extra work wasn't worth the rewards from the HIDs. For example, and to answer your question, the cutoff on them looks great to me. It has a nice step and both are perfectly horizontal. I feel they light up the road better than stock, but I don't have the science to back that up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well that's good to know. I'm with you the risk wasn't worth the offset in cost, I think I'm oging to buy the spec d wi hid kit in them, not designed for hid but from what I can tell or see they are average. I'm not looking for crazy great. After all it's a focus and not a high end sports car. Just want improved light as I feel the stocks suck

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

After a wash yesterday they look great. Just what I wanted. But as I was drying it off I noticed the passenger light getting some condensation. Not expecting that. The driver side light never had a problem and still doesn't. I figured I was getting fog in the passenger one because of a bad seal on the housing.

Now I need a new hypothesis. I noticed on the backs of the housing there are three little vents. I wonder what woyld happen if I sealed them up too.

Does the light need a vent to breathe? I dunno. The driver side light has the same looking vents but I'm getting no problem from that guy.... I think I'm going to study the lights a little closer. See if I can find a difference that is causing the moisture.

·
Registered
527 Posts
very nice, i like your idea of keeping the leds dark when not on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far so good. I took the headlight that was fogging and just added a crap load more ribbon sealer. And I used it to plug up three little vents in the back. Had a couple snow storms since then and still no condensation.

The ultimate test will be those humid and hot rainy summer days.

I'm digging the LED strip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
These shots show the leds real well. I was about say that I think I fixed my problem, then yesterday I saw a hint of condensation, taunting me.

Attachments

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
yeah, that's why I refuse to take apart my headlamps. I figure I won't put them back together properly. Granted I bought the Chinese ST lights so isn't an issue anymore, but I hated my stock silver lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts