Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know its not really a gain but the fact that the power is not being lost in engine movment can someone tell me how much more im getting to the wheels i remeber somewhere it said like 3-5 hp but i cant find it now thanks

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Its all completely arbitrary, as if you shift lightly, nothing bad happens. I personally feel its something you can't even guess at an imaginary gain for.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Your not going to gain any HP to the wheel by putting in stiffer mounts. Sure it's going to feel different and may feel like your gaining some judging by the ol' butt dyno but in reality all your gaining is less engine movement but no extra power.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i understand that but with weak mounts the tq gets put to the frame from the engine hitting it so its not going to the wheels. i just remeber that with the new mounts that the power is going back to the wheels so im trying to figure out how much your putting back to the wheels. its just like the counterbalance on a 2.3 when u take that off your not gaining more power your just freeing it up and just like oil full syentethic gives u more power by letting things move better. your still not adding more power your just relesing the power u already have

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You get much power as you got with your neon's and apc winshield banner.

this is getting rediculous.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey aero i highly respect u. and i understand what your saying i just remeber saomeone on here said u would get more power to the ground with the mount so i was just checking

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The thing is, the mount is in the same catagory as tires; its application of power, not the creation or freeing of.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
....eh, I could ALMOST believe this. You can provoke power "loss" with a soft mount (its funny Neon bashing came up in this thread, my old Neon had a torn transaxle mount which caused horrible bogging on launch, which WAS a loss of power to the wheels, cause the engine and transaxle were flopping around in the engine bay. No banners on that car, thank you very much), but its nothing I'd consider a gain. This is most likely an academic point, you'd likely have trouble backing it up on a dyno, but certainly using solid steel mounts would make the car feel much more connected, more responsive, whether there was a net gain in power or not.

EDIT: Yeah, Egz, thats the quicker way I was trying to think of so say that, thanks [thumb]

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
0 gain! No, it's not like tires.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I see what your saying cruz, but even a soft mount will stop moving at some point and the same amount of power will be going to the wheels even if you have a stiffer mount. The drive train shifting a bit isn't going to absorb any of the power to the wheels.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so if your saying that its the same as tires are u saying that since tires give u better time because theres no wasted time spinning that u get a better time witht the mount because the eninge is shifting less? not seeing how its like tires really

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
hmmm i would think that you will get the same gains as with a TB? It’s just the feel i guess. although Walter claims that the engine might or will get 2-3 hp as you approach 200hp with the TB. And it might even be the same as the BS delete IMO. 0 gains [dunno]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
cruzstyle said:
so if your saying that its the same as tires are u saying that since tires give u better time because theres no wasted time spinning that u get a better time witht the mount because the eninge is shifting less? not seeing how its like tires really
I'm saying you always make X HP no matter what tires you have (weight and size excluded). All better tires do is allow you to use those X HP better by transforming it from spinning to traction. Same goes for the mount. You always had the same power, but it just utilizes it better by transforming it from hop to traction.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
No. As said before, the stiffer mount just allows the motor to rotate less. Even with the soft mount, it still bottoms out. It's not like tire that keep spinning. Is the motor spinning???

It is just for feel. There is no power gain.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
egz i understand that. what i was asking is i know my car has lets say 100 HP i know it doesnt but lets say it does. now with the old motor mount i would be able to put lets say 96 hp to the wheels because the other for were being transfered to the frame of the car from it banging. but with the new mount and no banging i was understanding that that 4 hp is being put back to the wheels and not to the frame so i am able to put that 100 hp to the ground. so no its not a gain persay but its using the power that im given. so thats what i was asking is how much more of my already given power im i putting to the wheels maybe a dyno wont show it as an overall HP increase but wouldnt the hp graph maybe different. IDK

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
i see what you are saying however you are looking at it the wrong way. soft mount or stiff mount you will get the same power to the wheels at some point. however since the soft mount allow the engine to shift back and forth the power is not sent to the wheels as instantly. there is no power loss persay in the engine movement but a slight delay as the engine move untill it bottoms out the soft mount. with the stiff mount in place the engine wont (shouldnt) move so therefore the engine will feel more torquey because the tranfer of power from the engine to the wheels is almost instant. no gains, no losses, either way. i wouldnt think it would make you much if any faster in say a drag race unless the soft mount causes you to wheel hop.

*personnally i have all 3 mounts on my car and love how connected it feels. and i highly recommend everyone buy the rear one. however i would check it every few months to make sure there is no damage to it. i have snapped a rear mount and as far as i know i am the only one to snap and vf passenger side mount as well*

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There is a very small instant where some of the acceleration is causing the motor to rotate. The amount of rotation and the time in which takes place is so incredibly small that we can practically call it instantaneous from a math/physics standpoint.

·
Registered
549 Posts
well i agree that their is no hp/tq gain to be had with a mount., but if yo uthink about it this way, for that split second that your car is at say...2500 rpm...your engine wastes some of its energy rocking itself back until the mount cant move anymore...so by the time the mount cant move anymore, you are up higher in the rpm range. which means the engine is basically rotating mass, even though it nevers fully rotates. for a second your engine is using its power to move itself back. i believe that it would only affect the amount of torque going to the wheels but it be so minimal, and for such a short period, no dyno could pick it up...just my .02

·
Registered
108 Posts
not trying to be an ass, but cruz always has some weird ass no mechanical knowledge i have never touched a car question, does anyone else notice this???? sorry i work with a bunch of these people all day every day so.....

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
your not going to gain power but rather use what you have more affectively that is all but how much do you really lose with out this up grad??? it can be that much and if anything you might feel a little diff in the first second of jump from the motor but once the old mount is at the limit the motor is still puting all the power through the tranny

1 - 20 of 22 Posts