Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone else noticed an inherant flaw in their VF drivers side mount?

My car has been making some weird noises lately coming from the drivers side. Soooo I decided to go in and investigate a bit. Sounded like some clunking/rattling sounds coming from around the transmission. Took the battery and battery tray out to see if there was any problems with the motor mount there. Looked fine from the top. Decided to take it out anyway to inspect further. Maybe something was hitting something underneath it. Nope. Took it out and immediately noticed a ton of aluminum shavings on the stud that holds the transmission to the mount. [thumbd] So I look in the top nut that screws onto the stud to hold everything together and all the threads about halfway up are completely destroyed. I mean nothing left of them. Where it stood only around 3 threads total were holding the entire weight of the tranny... Another [thumbd] And it was screwed up to exact torque specs using my clicker wrench to I know it was correct. Any further would have overtorqed it by VF's specs. So I am quite pissed to say the least. Put in the stocker so my transmission wouldn't fall on the ground going down the freeway at 70.

Sooooo just making you aware I guess...

Looking at the Steeda unit now. Looks like it uses a steel top nut instead of freaking aluminum... Gimme a break..

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Although now looking at the Steeda mount I am not so sure either. Looks entirely different on their site. Anyone have a pic of it installed on their Dtec?

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Did you use thread lock on yours?
Wow, this is big news. I'm going to have to take a look at mine now.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Why dont u go with those mounts that mike at hilbish sells? The stock mount with inserts...

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. Used the blue stuff. Didn't want to use the red stuff and break my back getting if off. lol.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hold on. I will go take pics now. I mean I guess I could drill it out bigger, tap it and put a helicoil in it. I dunno.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are two pics. Kinda crappy but you get the idea. The first pic shows it from the bottom and the destroyed threads. The second shows the top and you can kinda see down in there where the top of the stud sat in there because that is where the destruction ended... Good threads down to bad threads. I mean they are gone.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Dont they have some kind of warranty???

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Have you contacted Randy? They may be able to help.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
The steeda is awesome, although it wont fit the stock battery in a duratec because of that huge bolt. I cut a hole in the bottom of my battery box and used a combo of spacers to raise the box up and rubber under the battery to raise it enough.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Did you use the washer that goes on the bottom?
At first I didn't see it in the kit and tried to install it without and realized it wouldn't work.
I messed up some of the threads like in that photo but I rummaged through the package and the missing piece was in there.
With the washer/spacer installed it was perfect.
It's a round washer about 1/4" thick with a nub on it.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you use the washer that goes on the bottom?
At first I didn't see it in the kit and tried to install it without and realized it wouldn't work.
I messed up some of the threads like in that photo but I rummaged through the package and the missing piece was in there.
With the washer/spacer installed it was perfect.
It's a round washer about 1/4" thick with a nub on it.
What washer? Are you talking about the polyurethane piece that goes underneath this piece? There wasn't any washer type piece at all. This top nut itself acts as a washer. If there was anything under it there would be even less threads holding the tranny up as it would be spaced up further.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What washer? Are you talking about the polyurethane piece that goes underneath this piece? There wasn't any washer type piece at all. This top nut itself acts as a washer. If there was anything under it there would be even less threads holding the tranny up as it would be spaced up further.
That is your problem right there.
Without that washer the nut gets torqued too far and strips the threads, just like what your picture shows.

It's shaped like this:

*_____**_____
/_____| |_____\
| |

Ignore the *.
The narrow end fits against the urethane insert.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are four pics with all the parts of the mount I have and how I assembled it. Looks exactly the same as in the photos online.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ok thanks.
That part with the nub is what I was talking about.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts