Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for awhile now i've been hearing a squeak from the rear, until toniight it didn't pose a problem. i'm driving home like normal from my gf's home and as i wait to turn left on a green, when i start off, all of a sudden i hear a loud bang and then metal scraping on the bottom. i immediatly get out to check whats wrong and to my surprise i see that the rear axle ( i think that's what it's called) on the passenger side has snapped and the spring is pushing it against the ground which is causing the scraping noise. [:(!] i'm so pissed off, and sad right now, how could this happen. has this happened to anyone else before? some guidence would be nice. i'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Wow, that is very strange![scratch]

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, i know, i never heard of this happen to anyone. i have no suspension mods or anything like that. i know i do a little corner carving at times, but still, this shouldn't happen. i'm waiting for my batteries to charge and i'll post some pics

·
Registered
341 Posts
heard this before dudes upper control arm broke. You were lucky he ended up with alot of damage. can't remember where on the fourms but he just got it back said it was like 9000.00 in damge. i thought with that much damage they would total it. hmmmm? I [dunno]

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how did his break? also, was it under warrenty?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok, i feel screwed. what to do?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
holy crap! was the car ever in a wreck? check the part of the control arm that is still attached to the subframe, can you see any rusty spots on where it broke? You might have had a stess fracture that finally broke.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, i didn't want to post the pic to long just in case ford reps come on and see, and yea, i got in an accident once, but it was the front end. nothing happened to the rear, also there's no rust, i had rust proofing done.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here's the pic. i hope i don't get in trouble by any ford reps

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to ”Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension”.

Sounds like the LCA (Lower Control Arm) broke.
Is it this piece that snapped? (right where the jackstands are placed)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=1029832

I do know they updated the LCA on the 04 models and maybe even the 03s, with a plate where the sway bar mounts.
It was a known weak point.

Let me see if I can find some more info/pics.

Damn. [:(]
How much damage was done to the rest of the rear suspension?

EDIT:
That's what I get for typing so slow, and looking up a pic for ya.
Yep...that's the LCA, and a very typical place for it to break on the early models.
Though, it's usually from road racing the car, or from installing too large of a rear sway bar,
or a combination of the two.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
i hope i don't get in trouble by any ford reps
^^^Absolutely not. You're only asking for our advise and observations.
I would talk to your Dealer though, even if your warranty is up.

If that's all the damage that's done (just the broken LCA), you came out OK.
New arms aren't that much, come with new bushings, and...will be the updated/reinforced part:
YS4Z-5500-CC Rear Lower Control Arm. ~$50 each.
If I were you, I'd replace both sides just to be safe.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well from what i know, and what i can see... it's only the Lower control arm, also i think the alignment will have to be set strait agian. cause the wheel is crooked

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
oh yea, i was looking on the other side as well, there seems to be some stress cracks. so i think that both have to be replaced. if it were to come outta my own pocket, how much do you think it will cost?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^Just updated previous post with part number and approximate cost per arm.
I also just confirmed, and it's the 03 and 04 models that have the reinforcement plate where the sway bar mounts.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks soooooo much WD40, that just takes a load off my back knowing how inexpensive it is. also thanks for doing all these searches for the focus community. your the best. [thumb]

·
Registered
550 Posts
thats not even really a hard job u could probly replace both of those in under an hour if u know what your doin.. and id check that spring to its sittin at a really weird angle could of stressed it to point of a fracture or done something to it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I bet he was shooting sparks from under his car. Ricers would of tried to race him then.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, yea the spring is sitting at a weird angle because the lower contral arm isn't supporting it. but yea, i hope that waranty will cover everything. i'm still under the 3 year limit... i guess i'm lucky this happened to cause if it happened when my warranty is out then that would really suck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts