Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week I changed my transmission fluid just before 56k miles. We have the same transmission as the Fiesta ST (B6) and multiple people on the Fiesta ST forums have said that Ford techs have put in 2L of transmission fluid after they have complained about transmission feel, even though the service and owner's manual says the transmission needs 1.67L of fluid. I decided to put 2L of Motul DCTF in. (Amazon conveniently offers a 2 * 1L pack)

I saw many Fiesta ST transmission fluid change videos on YouTube that said to raise the passenger side of the car while draining the fluid (if you don't have a suction pump) to get the most fluid out as possible and do that. I lower the car off the jack and begin to pump until all 2L of fluid is in the transmission. There wasn't any fluid coming out of the fill port before or after I both bottles were empty. I thought that was it and starting putting things back together and cleaning up. I moved the drain pan with the old fluid and it is a lot lighter than I expected. The oil was drained into a Motul bottle and it was "only" 675 ml. Less than half the Ford specs...

I left it be and drove about 50 miles over the next few days before checking the fluid levels in the transmission. I open the fill port and no fluid comes out so I didn't over-fill the transmission. And I stick my finger in the fill port and the only fluid that gets on my finger is what is on the parts right next to the fill port on the inside. I can't feel any fluid curling my finger down.

There wasn't any indication any fluid leaked out since there wasn't any staining around the drain or fill port. And I don't remember ever smelling any burning transmission fluid over the 5 years I've had my car. So the only thing I could think of is the dealer that performed the clutch recall didn't properly fill the transmission.

Anyway, the Motul fluid is worth the cost and shifts feel more crisp than the previous fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have a Fiesta ST, and you probably saw one of the videos I made about this problem.

Ford calls for 1.67L and the fuild level is supposed to be 1 inch below the fill hole. Well 1.67L does not get you there 2L does.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
638 Posts
This is good to know and something i should get down and check since mine was done recently.
You didnt notice any issues like hard engagement even with clutch fully depressed or gear noise before you checked your fluid level?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary... There weren't any noises that came from the transmission that raised any suspicion when the car was on or off. I did have the occasional miss-meshing between shifts where it didn't want to go in the next gear. Taking it out of gear and right back into the desired gear would then mesh properly.

The extra fluid has definitely quieted the amount of noise shifting through gears made when the engine was off though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts