Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is aimed more at kickn and focal... but anyone can help..

my room mate and i are getting ready for a huge project this spring for his car.... if it turns out the way we hope were going to do something of the sort to mine. all that live around me are more than welcome to help. its gonig to take a few days.. so were hoping to start on a long weekend.

what i would like to know first is- how do you relocate the dash from the left to the center of the dash board? can it be done with out extending any wires.. im affaird to re wire those. i dont want to cut anyone of them.. esp the milage reader.. and my last qeustion.. what about the top part? the hump.. how is that re created for the center when the gauge is moved? and how is the part re created to cover where the old hump was? my idea is maybe to cut the hump out and just relocate, bondo it where its suppose to be moved to and just cover with something.. or maybe go to the junk yard and cut out the whole top dash and work with that....

the project is to relocate the whole gauge to the center, and fiber glass the practically the whole dash. were are going to remake the a/c cluster add extra gauges, and some other fancy shit. its going to look sweet. im not going to disclose everything we are gonig to do because it will be revelled in pictures.. i will however take a step by step to show everyone how it was all done and what not.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
this looks will take more than a wekend !!

and you will end having a echo like console !

[hihi]

good luck...

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if we work through the night and work all 4 days we can get it down.. like 4 or 5 people will be helping.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dash Project

That sounds pretty cool. I have to agree, pretty ambitious for a single weekend, but good luck.

I would say buy a spare dash from e-bay or a junk yard. That way, you have a spare if you make a mistake or just dont like it. I would go with your idea to cut the bulge off and relocate it. I take it you are glassing the whole dash? May make molding it in easier and the finished product smoother. As far as wiring the harness goes, I think I have an idea for that.

While at the junk yard, but another bezel and cut the wiring harness from the donor car. Then use the male and female plugs to make an extension. You wont have to cut the original car wires, but it should make connecting them easier. Just like they do for HU installs.

Well, I hope those ideas help you out. I am excited to see how it all develops.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow good point.. just branch of the existing wires instead of cutting.. nice..

and i think your right.. go get another from a junk yard.. sweet.

there is so much to do to prep and some of things you just forget.. thats why its good to hear other voices.. thanks for the help.

to answer- yes were going to glass the whole dash and use a little bondo. with alot of sanding and smoothing, should turn out to be a beauty.

im really good at glassing so it should taken to long.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Sounds like fun, remember, if you glass and Bondo, you will have to figure in set-up time for the chemicals, and that may kill your weekend idea, but you can always do other things while it sets up.. I agree as above, take all the neccessary extras you will need from the junkyard while you are there.
If you have glassed before that helps alot, I would still think you will need a support under neath to hold everything to set it.. Let us know how it turns out....Oh yeah, I'm busy that weekend.....lol,

·
Registered
265 Posts
Project Planning

Well, I hope it seems as helpful when you are working! Should save soem time though. You may want to do a checklist too. I know that when you are working on a project you want to get right at it, but a couple minutes writing things down can orgnize it and point to things you might miss otherwise. It will also help form your junkyard shopping list!

As for the wiring harness, if you yank a few feet out from the donor car, you would just have to splice the female end on. I was originaly thinking to clip off the plugs and a couple inches of wire, but why do all that wiring if Ford already did it!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
i would do a new dash insted of cutting the old one...
just find/take out a dash...make a petter...take messures and do awhole new fiberglass dash...

and keep the original...just in case

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the orange car? yes thats where we got the idea, but were not going to copy it completely.. we are going to alter and change around some of the parts to make it some what different.

el-pio are you talking about glassing the whole top part in stead of using the plastic? that might work... we'll look in to that. thanks!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Maybe I missed something: are you relocating the steering column, too? If so, good luck man, you will need more than 5 people working for a weekend. Shift linkages, seat mounting (the hump??), steering linkage, etc.

If you are just moving the speedo and hump, I can see that being done in a weekend, but without moving the seat, why? Not flaming, just curious...

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just thought of something.. if we get another gauge thing, wont it get messed up because the odometer reading wont be right? wait nvm.. you can completely disconnect the dash then hook it back up becuase everything is kept in the ecu right?

does that make anysense? i just dont want to mess up the odometer and milage reading at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My friend put a new cluster in his Grand Am and it was the reading from the other car which had 25k less miles. I don't know if fords the same, but you might want to use the donor cluster as a fit/test one and then install yours when it's all set and complete....just a thought

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Everyone of my cars stored the mileage info in the cluster, not the ECU. I would just reuse your original, if possible.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats what i thought.. its all stored in the cluster.. so can it be totally disconnected or does dont mess with it.. thats what im trying to find out.. i would like to know all the do's and dont's about the gauge cluster..

and to answer your why.. where just relocated the cluster, then fiber glassing the whole dash, painting, adding tv's, speakers and all eye candy.. just to do something different.. for people to look at when were at shows. plus no one around here has anything like that.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
are you gana eliminate the passenger airbag ?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I had my cluster out and un plugged with no problems at all, though it was only unplugged for about 45 minutes...if that helps, you should be fine in that respect

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok great.. that is going to help. i dont think it would matter if it was 15 or 45.. just to know that the whole thing was completely unplugged..
air ba- dont know yet..still brain storming

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
you should try to ps a dash so we can have a better idea

1 - 20 of 27 Posts