Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got finished doing the complete swap(springs, shocks/struts, rear bar) and I'm stoked, this car is so much more fun. The SVT guys did a great job on this setup. I had people looking at me saying in their head "how the hell is that generic focus sedan taking that corner so fast?". Turns I took at 45 before I now take at 60. If any of you out there are contemplating doing the swap you won't be dissapointed, and for the price you can't beat it.

Install note: It is much, much easier to get the rear spring out if you competely disconnect the lower control arm and rear bar, the spring pretty much falls out when the control arm is free to drop.

pics to come when it settles a bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I too just installed an SVT kit in my 01 ZX3. I only had the car for a month before the mod but I really like the improvement. I had one nasty problem with the left rear lower control arm, the bolt holding the control arm to the hub assy was siesed in place, got it half way out and then it wouldn't go back in. Limped to the go to guy I sometimes use and ended up with a new lower control arm, that cost me more than the SVT kit in the first place. now that the alignment is done it's a blast to drive. Best bang for the buck I've had in quite some time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you notice further improvement after alignment? I'm going to wait a week or so before I realign to let it fully settle. It sucks about that LCA. Where you live it's very hard to do suspension work on a driven car without seized bolts etc. peace

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put just the svt springs on and noticed a difference in the ride as well as the ride height. The only problem i have is now when slowly going over a speed bump or when goin on a bumpy road slowly i hear a slight squeek coming from the rear. I have looked underneith and can get the same noise when someone sits on the rear of the car, seems like it is coming from the rear bar, like maybe i didn't tighten the rear stabilizer bar bolts enough. Anyone know how far down the long bolt you should tighten??

·
Registered
63 Posts
editing my response, its the endlinks bolts that i don't think i have tight enough, or are too tight. How far down should the nut be??? or how tight should it be????

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
im getting excited..i have my SVT dampers in my room, waiting for my progress springs..so my car should be tons of fun!! woohoo

·
Registered
28 Posts
I find now I can drive on good roads with my hands off the wheel for great distances, and those ruts in the highways (Canadian black top!!) don't tug the car one way or the other.

Ryan: I too had a squeak just after putting in the kit. I drive a ZX3 and couldn't find a thing. I took out everything from the hatch, went for a burn and noise gone. Things are so stiff back there I think the spare wasn't tight enough the first time. That and I tightened the end links as tight as I can then tightened the frame brackets after. I did it the other way around the first time, that and try to do it with the car on all fours, I think it makes some difference? as opposed to on my ramps that is? Changed the ride height at the back just a little.

My kids love riding with me on a tear, when Mom's not in the car!!!

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I put on my SVT suspension a couple months back and I have had a major blast with my car. The vast improvement in handling is the thing I love the most next to the clean sitting ride height. I also don't need to slow down too much on the speedbumps and speed "humps" we have around here because the car still sits higher than many cars stock. Along with the 215 tires and bigger wheels, this suspension has made my car a monster on the backroads! I bet a lot of cars with a lot more HP would struggle to keep consistent speed with me on the twisties

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Awesome... just the kind of positive feedback I was looking for about the SVT kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts