Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do an engine and transmission swap but the problem is that the biggest car I have at the moment is my zx3. So my question is that if I lay the seats down and put a board cover the whole drunk and back of seats and then I cover it in plastic would an engine and transmission fit in the back of the car in order to get it home.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Should fit. You'll want to make sure you drain all the liquids, or leave the plugs in. I'd build a little platform for the engine, cause I've seen many-a engines get damaged due to poor loading/seating. Depending on which engine it is, should be easy to support it.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
^^ don't forget to buckle it up.... you don't want to make a sudden movement or severe head damage may occur.... then you're stuck with a retarded engine [rofl]

sorry, had to make the comparison of an engine in the back seat with a child. lol.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Wow haha, yea, don't forget to secure from side to side and front to back... It may need a booster seat, haha.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is a 2.3L. How would I make the brackets to hold it?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
u could use ratchet straps

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Not per-say brackets, just something so the engine itself isn't sitting on the ground, which I mean some people might do it, but not me.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
you could build something out of 2x4's like a frame of sorts the you would probabl be able to have the engine sit upright and it would be easier to secure. thats my .02

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
uhaul wont work cause you have to pay by the mile and I have quite a distance to drive.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
If the motor doesn't have a transmission, build a square base for it with 2x4's. kinda like this.
________
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
---------
Then attach a piece of plywood to the 2x4s and bolt the plywood to the bellhousing of the motor, and then get some straps and should be good.

The only reason I'm suggesting things is because I've seen so many engines damaged due to crappy packing lol. Also another trick is to use an old tire(s).

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
If the motor doesn't have a transmission, build a square base for it with 2x4's. kinda like this.
________
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
---------
That part sounds familiar... definitely more complete than my suggestion... DO it so you dont' mess up the motor or the interior of you car.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
I vote for renting a pickup truck from hertz or something. or.... ask a friend to borrow a truck. Offer to do an oil change for them or somethin.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just fit a 2.0 in the back of my hatch ;) Barely even made it to the edge of the seats, so I'm sure a transmission would fit too. Word of advice: don't let it sit on the oil filter! It makes a mess ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts