Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if any of you have this. I'm getting a fast, almost fuel injector sound ticking that comes ago as if it were a flick of a switch. I believe its coming from outside, although It sounds like something on the passenger side. If I open the door I can really hear it. It happens at any RPM, drive or in park, does not matter. Killing me. Going to bring it in most likely. It just started happening. I've got 50'000 kilometers on the car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not sure if any of you have this. I'm getting a fast, almost fuel injector sound ticking that comes ago as if it were a flick of a switch. I believe its coming from outside, although It sounds like something on the passenger side. If I open the door I can really hear it. It happens at any RPM, drive or in park, does not matter. Killing me. Going to bring it in most likely. It just started happening. I've got 50'000 kilometers on the car.
You've got the right idea by planning to bring it in to your local dealer, Darth_Focus. Once you've received a diagnosis, be sure to send me a private message with your full name, VIN, servicing dealer, and best daytime contact number so I can get this escalated.

Brittany

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just made the appt. but I traced it down to the fuel pump under the rubber boot. It's very loud when it starts ticking. Wonder if it's on its way out

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out the sound is the Evap Solenoid underneath the high pressure pump. Ford ordered parts and are replacing under warranty on Monday. They also ordered a headliner attach kit as mine is falling when it's cold. That's also being repaired under warranty. So far no complaints.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Turns out the sound is the Evap Solenoid underneath the high pressure pump. Ford ordered parts and are replacing under warranty on Monday. They also ordered a headliner attach kit as mine is falling when it's cold. That's also being repaired under warranty. So far no complaints.
I had to have my evap solenoid replaced too: mine started clicking (I didn't know what the sound was) and it eventually died, setting a Check Engine light and making the car hard to start.

·
Registered
984 Posts
This is happening to mine..50k mikes....cycles on and off...not related to engine rpm. Sounds like it is coming from the thing under the rubber boot on top of the engine.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
This is happening to mine..50k mikes....cycles on and off...not related to engine rpm. Sounds like it is coming from the thing under the rubber boot on top of the engine.
On the driver's side of the engine bay next to the battery? That's the DI high pressure fuel pump. Might be the evap solenoid underneath it as well.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Have you been to the dealer to have this looked into? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
984 Posts
^^^I plan on taking it in over the holidays..I am sure they will get it straightened out.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It is not the standard fuel pump noise..its this solenoid I would wager. Coming from that area but sounds underneath it. Comes and goes (on/off) and can be v. loud inside the cabin.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Does this part effect gas mileage?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ok..found it. Its an inline piece with houses in/out of it with an electrical connection to it that sits under the rubber-topped piece (high pressure pump as it has been referred to here). Definatley the part that is making the ticking. I unplugged it and it shut up. Will go to dealer next week..at least I can show them the part!

·
Registered
368 Posts
That's the evap purge valve. You might want to plug it back in until you can get the car to a dealer - when it doesn't work at all (or is disconnected), it can affect the fuel mixture and cause the engine to run extremely rough (it happened to me). The clicking may be a sign of impending failure, but as long as it is clicking it is still working somewhat.

·
Registered
984 Posts
^^^Yes, I plugged it back in..now the check engine light is on and my car is running smoother than when it was making noise. Gas mileage has come up back up to normal..weird. Dropping off tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
984 Posts
All fixed. $320. Ouch! "VMW" replaced. 50k miles..out of warranty.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts