Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
The sway bar on the svt is a little larger/stiffer, so you would need the bar and bushings. It's the same shape but it won't fit in the stock bushings.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
The sway bar on the svt is a little larger/stiffer, so you would need the bar and bushings. It's the same shape but it won't fit in the stock bushings.

Sent from my moto g(6) using FF Mobile
This+ There are other options as well.....Eibach's kit= F22mm/R25mm. Steeda offers a 28.6mm rear bar, but you'd need a 22mm front bar.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is important to note that a stiffer sway bar set would reduce body roll in the rear which would reduce it's passive rear steering. Too stiff and it will actually be worse. I personally found the svt struts/springs with the stock sway bars to be a good setup, if I was ever going to track it I would get the svt sway bars but no stiffer than that.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Question is do you like understeer or oversteer...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I honestly just like the ride, handling and comfort of the stock focus. This will be my DD, and my intention is that I’m going to rustproof it and drive it for the next 10 years / 150k miles. The cost of the SVT front strut / spring kit to me is worth doing for peace of mind, as I’ll replace all the wheel bearings at the same time, as they have already got 100k on the fronts, and the rears from the donor SVT lord knows!
So, I’ll probably stick with the factory ‘05 sway bar.

I really appreciate all the pointers and feedback here. Glad this forum hasn’t turned into a ghost town like so many offers (courtesy of FB)...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
It is important to note that a stiffer sway bar set would reduce body roll in the rear which would reduce it's passive rear steering. Too stiff and it will actually be worse. I personally found the svt struts/springs with the stock sway bars to be a good setup, if I was ever going to track it I would get the svt sway bars but no stiffer than that.
You'll want most of the roll stiffness in the rear on a fwd vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only difference between the svt and 05-07 knuckle is the size of the lower ball joint. You need rotors, pads, calipers, and caliper brackets. Typically it's recommended that you upgrade the brake hoses. And even though the standard foci didn't have soupy suspension it's a good idea to upgrade suspension to svt spec (or better. Summit sells the whole Ford racing springs and struts shabang for ~$300) to keep it from nose diving with the extra bite in the front.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Sorry I'm a little late to the party but was this the one that you were talking about?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-3000-zx3/year/2004/make/ford/model/focus
Or
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-18000-zx3/year/2004/make/ford/model/focus

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seems ya'll have the front upgrade options covered. My question is, is the ST the only bolt on option to upgrade my '05's rear drums to discs?!? SVT?!? Are there conversions kits outside of that available?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Advance track foci use a rear disc brake also same as SVT except for a smaller bracket to use a smaller rotor. SVT is a next step up. MASSIVE has a Rear conversion also that uses other parts for I would say the largest rear brake set up. Massive also has a set up for the front brakes which are some larger ones before you go to a multi piston two peice rotor set up.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Advance track foci use a rear disc brake also same as SVT except for a smaller bracket to use a smaller rotor. SVT is a next step up. MASSIVE has a Rear conversion also that uses other parts for I would say the largest rear brake set up. Massive also has a set up for the front brakes which are some larger ones before you go to a multi piston two peice rotor set up.
Largest rear bbk I've seen is Baers 12'', two piece vented rotors using GM calipers. Wilwood offers 11.75'' rear rotors that work w/ the oem calipers, of course you'll need tce's brackets to space the caliper up a little higher.......btw the Wilwood rotors are two piece.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
And those... :), I need to look at a two peice rotor for my set up... Keep that heat from cooking bearings.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
And those... :), I need to look at a two peice rotor for my set up... Keep that heat from cooking bearings.
That + a lot lighter rotational weight......I went w/ them for the lighter weight.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts