Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mk 1.5 focus with an 01/05 build date.
I've already purchased a pair of new rear SVT calipers, new brake cables, rotors, and took donor rear SVT brake parts (hub, spindle, brake lines, backplates) off a partially stripped SVT in the junkyard.

Now it's time for the fronts. Given this is an '05, what is the real facts on what parts I need to put the larger SVT front rotors (and calipers) on this car - I've read that they bolt on, and other times that they dont and need the spindle changing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If you can score the entire suspension assembly, just do that.
Swaps in 30 minutes per side that way.
No need in worrying about what works and what doesn't.
Mk 1.5 focus with an 01/05 build date.
I've already purchased a pair of new rear SVT calipers, new brake cables, rotors, and took donor rear SVT brake parts (hub, spindle, brake lines, backplates) off a partially stripped SVT in the junkyard.

Now it's time for the fronts. Given this is an '05, what is the real facts on what parts I need to put the larger SVT front rotors (and calipers) on this car - I've read that they bolt on, and other times that they dont and need the spindle changing.

Thanks!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Just take the 3 top nuts of fof the strut tower, unbolt the knuckle from the ball joint, tie rod, and axle nut, unscrew brake line from caliper, unhook lline from holder, yank the whole dude out in one piece.
Heck, it really only took like 30 minutes for both sides to be swapped doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I don't know that particular answer, but, they are different part numbers, and the SVT rotors are larger diameter, fwiw.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
By "they", I meant, your steering knuckle and an SVT's steering knuckle are different I believe.
The larger rotor would 'usually' dictate a larger mounting bracket, different caliper, etc., which, would 'usually' mean you would need the whole assembly.

We'll have to wait to hear from someone else on who knows for sure.

One good way would be to shop for the knuckles for the 2 different cars and observe that they are different part numbers from every manufacturer who makes them.
That would pretty much mean that you need the SVT's knuckle.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
In the front, SVT rotors and calipers are direct bolt-on to 05-07

You could change out all the suspension if you want, but I wouldn't bother with junkyard struts. I'd just buy new shocks/struts/springs if doing that.
This^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
544 Posts
SVT Calipers with SVT brackets. The brackets are larger to allow for the larger rotors. I think I have an extra set of calipers and brackets if you haven't bought anything yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only difference between the svt and 05-07 knuckle is the size of the lower ball joint. You need rotors, pads, calipers, and caliper brackets. Typically it's recommended that you upgrade the brake hoses. And even though the standard foci didn't have soupy suspension it's a good idea to upgrade suspension to svt spec (or better. Summit sells the whole Ford racing springs and struts shabang for ~$300) to keep it from nose diving with the extra bite in the front.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
The only difference between the svt and 05-07 knuckle is the size of the lower ball joint. You need rotors, pads, calipers, and caliper brackets. Typically it's recommended that you upgrade the brake hoses. And even though the standard foci didn't have soupy suspension it's a good idea to upgrade suspension to svt spec (or better. Summit sells the whole Ford racing springs and struts shabang for ~$300) to keep it from nose diving with the extra bite in the front.

Sent from my moto g(6) using FF Mobile
btw you do have EBD to keep the foci from noise diving.....I'd also recommend SS brake hoses & also do a brake fluid flush, not just bleed the brakes.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts

Sent from my moto g(6) using FF Mobile
The '06+ also had a larger Strut. so the '05 is the sweet spot of working with Mk1 Suspension, SVT brakes, and upgraded lower control arms/ball joints.

The bracket style is the same on the '05 knuckle but the caliper is smaller so as been stated the Rotor needs to be swapped out and the SVT caliper needs to be loaded with SVT pads.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The '06+ also had a larger Strut. so the '05 is the sweet spot of working with Mk1 Suspension, SVT brakes, and upgraded lower control arms/ball joints.

The bracket style is the same on the '05 knuckle but the caliper is smaller so as been stated the Rotor needs to be swapped out and the SVT caliper needs to be loaded with SVT pads.
Great info, bro.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
[
btw you do have EBD to keep the foci from noise diving.....I'd also recommend SS brake hoses & also do a brake fluid flush, not just bleed the brakes.

I’ve no idea what EBD is? Google suggests it’s emotional and behavioral disorder, in which case I’m confident the answer is no; my focus doesn’t have EBD

Thanks for all the answers on here. I may well just jump on upgrading the SVT fronts struts and springs as I’m building this focus to be a DD and last me another 100k miles (hence my 18 months of searching for a rust free manual wagon)!

Final question; are the sway bars on the ‘05 and SVT the same?

I now need to search out the holy grail now, of some stock ST Estate rear coils from Europe...

·
Registered
336 Posts

Ford Racing makes SVT struts in the bigger size to fit the 06+ knuckles

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Ford Racing makes SVT struts in the bigger size to fit the 06+ knuckles, so you dont really have to worry about finding ONLY 05 knuckles. 06+ will work just fine.
You can also buy the "Omni kit" from Massive to sleeve the earlier struts to fit the bigger bore knuckles.
2 options yeah, but your limited to just a few kits & they'd be hard to find/get nowadays & no mixing of the springs/struts either. Omni kit is a another option as that'd open the door for any of the more popular earlier '00-'05 springs/struts. I myself don't care for the taking up the slack sleeves, similar to Dom's sliding ball joint tubular ca's vs CFM's Heim joint tubular ca's......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts