Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to change the headlamp bulbs in the 04 last night. got my ass kicked for over an hour. all i wanted to do was remove the units for better access. ford in their infinite wisdom apparently has a bolt to the fender that you can't access easily to reove the units. eventually i just did the spring thing, but not sure if it's even right. aim definately needs to be adjusted. went with osram ss's. doesn't seem much better, but maybe once i make sure the bulbs are in properly, and the aim is adjusted, i will notice a change. who would have thought that a 17k car would be harder to work on than my 50k expedition??????? [:(!]

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
3 bolts and the headlight comes off. Change the bulbs give a good cleaning and polish and install them back on. It takes 10 min to take them off really simple. Sometimes I think squirrels put my car together for how small some of the areas I have to work with lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no way there is only 3 bolts. i removed the 1 in the top corner at fender, the 1 dead center, and the one down low by the grill(plastic). the thing was loose, but wasn't coming out. i called a ford tech friend and he said there was one somewhere underneath too.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Your friend is right, there are 4 bolts. The three up top and there is one underneath. I have taken my lights out multiple time and I always leave the bottom one out because its such as PITA to get to.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
^^totally agreed, take it out and leave it out.

I did have a set of projectors that would bounce and the lights looked like they flickered at night, so I had to have that bolt in, but those were ebay lights.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
One on the fender. One on the grill and the last is underneath. Where is this 4th bolt? I took off my stock Svt for st170's and then to machs I don't remember a 4th bolt. Let me know so I can put one in lol

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
My bad forgot about the one center lol. Yeah I have all 4 in. It only took me 30min to swap from st170's to my machs and I had to rewire my plugs.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
Hmm, I dont have any fourth bolt holes that go to the center on my headlights. Be thankful that you dont have to remove the whole bumper to remove the headlights like on a '01 Civic.

The very first time I took out my headlights I assumed there must be a bolt underneath the fender, I blindly stuck my arm up the bumper with a wrench and started loosening a bolt. Sure enough it was the right one, lol. I dont see what the big deal is, I've done it 5-6 times and it takes me about a minute.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Yup even my fatass hand fits up there lol

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
An open ended wrench with a ratcheting closed end works wonders to get the bottom headlight bolt out [thumb] It takes MAYBE 15 seconds to get each bottom bolt out if you have the proper tools!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts