Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 80.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just at Autozone looking for a lockable gas cap. They have vented and nonvented models for my car. The clerk said vented was for old vehicles, and a 2004 Focus doesn't need it. There's a warning in the user's manual about ...if you do not use the proper fuel cap, excessive pressure or vacuum may occur in the tank.../ (blah, blah blah)

Should I return it for a vented one? [???:)]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
could have gone to the dealer and got the proper one for a few extra dollars...

edit: did you fail the gas cap pressure test?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wickedgreyzx3 said:
could have gone to the dealer and got the proper one for a few extra dollars...

edit: did you fail the gas cap pressure test?
I've only had the car for two days, so I haven't had any emissions tests. I just wanted to secure the gas cap so no one can put anything in, or take anything out. [;)]

I'm probably best off to just return the unopened Autozone cap and get a factory one.

·
Registered
367 Posts
raising_arizona said:
I've only had the car for two days, so I haven't had any emissions tests. I just wanted to secure the gas cap so no one can put anything in, or take anything out. [;)]

I'm probably best off to just return the unopened Autozone cap and get a factory one.
You know what?! I to have tought of doing this, I mean you just never know, maybe you piss someone off at work and BAM! Dude puts a bucket of sand and Javax in your tank! Good idea! Did yours come with a key? You just need to get the right gas cap with a keyed entry. That is what you are trying to do right?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Mailman 666 said:
You know what?! I to have tought of doing this, I mean you just never know, maybe you piss someone off at work and BAM! Dude puts a bucket of sand and Javax in your tank! Good idea! Did yours come with a key? You just need to get the right gas cap with a keyed entry. That is what you are trying to do right?
I'm probably being paranoid, but with gas at $3/gallon, you never know (I haven't pissed anyone off at work yet, as far as I know [;)]). But, yep I'm just trying to get a lockable cap. The cheapie I bought came with two keys.

·
Registered
367 Posts
raising_arizona said:
I'm probably being paranoid, but with gas at $3/gallon, you never know (I haven't pissed anyone off at work yet, as far as I know [;)]). But, yep I'm just trying to get a lockable cap. The cheapie I bought came with two keys.
I'm going to do a search and see what I find, What area do you live in? If I find anything I'll search you area for it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Mailman 666 said:
I'm going to do a search and see what I find, What area do you live in? If I find anything I'll search you area for it.
Thanks for looking! I live in Tucson, Arizona.

Off topic, but I used to live in Toronto. Right near Bloor and Spadina. Small world. [:D]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
No, the Focus is designed as a sealed system. Thats what makes the PZEV a PZEV. Partial Zero Emissions = no gas vapors. Putting a vented cap on will cause the ECU to throw a MIL.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I bought a Stant gas cap and they only list 2 models.
1 non-lock and one lockable model.
Nothing about vented or non-vented.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You've been watching too many movies. Cars may burn, but they almost never blow up.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
cruzstyle said:
not all foci are PZEV and then somethign happens the gases make the car go boom not the fluid
Yes, but he has a PZEV, and he is the one buying the gas cap.

Besides, all Focuses (as are almost all modern cars) are a sealed system. If you put that vented cap on there, it will throw a MIL with the error code "Check Fuel Cap".

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
like Egz said, all foci are designed as a sealed system...so the PZEV thing doesn't matter.

hey raising_arizona do you have a part number for that locking gas cap? And how much was it? I want one too..I'm about to go back to college and I don't want people stealing gas or f**ing with my tank. Thanx.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sonicbluezx3 said:
hey raising_arizona do you have a part number for that locking gas cap? And how much was it? I want one too..I'm about to go back to college and I don't want people stealing gas or f**ing with my tank. Thanx.
It's been total frustration. I tried one from AutoZone, and it wouldn't fit. I tried a Stang and it wouldn't fit. The problem is the mounting point for the little plastic line that keeps the cap from falling on the ground. It gets in the way of these aftermarket caps, and they don't go all the way on. I called Ford, and they don't sell a locking gas cap for it.

Has anyone found one that works?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts