Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i purchased a vented carbon fiber hood recently and have tried to do some research on ways to protect the motor just in case i have to drive the vehicle in the rain. This is the type of hood i bought not my car but same hood! Just wanted any suggestions from anybody i wish they sold things you can just plug into the vents when its raining but i am short on ideas thanx for the help in advance!

http://www.focusfanatics.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21908&title=new-euro-grill&cat=512

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
dont worry about it. engines arent witches they can wet without melting. i live in ohio we get alot of rain and snow and i had big wrc style vents in my hood and it never hurt anything just steamed a bit while the water burnt off no big deal and i had alot biger openings in my hood then what your has

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You're good with the vents in that location. The only time you'd really have to worry about channeling water away from the open vent is if it opened right onto your air filter.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I fried a TPS from having two NACA style ducts in my hood, same locations as on the Rally Focus.

There are some electrical components you don't wanting getting wet all the time, like the coil pack. IF there's a crack in it, and moisture gets in there, it'll fry it. And something about water puddling up in my sparkplug boot channel that doesn't sit well with me.

I have a heat extractor vent I'm preparing to install this fall and am making a drip pan out of aluminum flashing. The stuff used on roofs. There's a metal bender you can get made by Matco. It allows you to make nice creases and beads on the edges for rigidity. If I ever finish mine I'll be posting pics.

But for the pan, once it's finished, I'll be suspended about 1 inch below by long stainless bolts.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
if my coil was cracked id rather it get wet so i know its f'd so it can be replaced

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interested to see pics of that finished for sure! I think i will try to Jerry rig something to together to either direct the water under neath to move it somewhere else or try and plug or direct the water from going somewhere else on the top. This car is going to be a weekend car and garaged but still you never know. Please keep me posted with your build if you ever get to it!

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
i went back to an oem hood but mine was a daily driver for months including snow with big vents and norcals still got big vents on his

1 - 8 of 8 Posts