Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ford Focus Vehicle Tattoos (Good Idea or Bad Idea?)

• Total voters
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Chintzy,poorly done mods hurt resale value period but with the graphics once they do age and it's time to remove them the paint underneath will still be a shade of very new while the rest has faded around the graphics so unless you're replacing them with the same set of vehicle tattoos it'll look like crap.
Ah, no! Modern paint finushes don't fade enough to be noticeable. I have had three cars (two with factory graphics and one I applied myself) that I removed the graphics in the 7-10 year time frame and once ckeaned and waxed there was ZERO difference in the paint.

For anyone considering removing graphics I wouldn't worry about paint fading.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
New paint finishes do fade as I just got back from Florida and I saw more than a few examples on cars less than 15 years old. The sun is worse in some regions than others and some are fortunate to have some sort of covered parking but sun still is the number 1 factor in paint degradation but if washed and waxed regularly it should diminish sun damage greatly.

I work part time at a body/paint shop and I can tell you new paint is still susceptible to sun damage.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well my daily driven cars sit outside year round and I have done spot repairs to the paint and removed old graphics on cars that are 7-10 years old and have had no issues with paint fade.

I even did a spot repair on my 68 Barracuda that I painted 15 years ago with Dupont Chroma 1 and there was no fading. The UV protection they put in paint these days is very effective at preventing paint fade.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Hey, I call it as I see it and you probably care for your cars better than your average joe but this isn't the case for the masses and you live in the northwest where the sun isn't as intense year round as other parts of the country. Above average care is what it takes to keep your paint fade free and most people aren't that anal so you still see alot of faded paint behind graphics and badges. Location is a big factor along with pollution, salt air and what they throw on the roads in the winter all play a part.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well my daily driven cars sit outside year round and I have done spot repairs to the paint and removed old graphics on cars that are 7-10 years old and have had no issues with paint fade.

this guy knows what he's talking about! I''ve lived on the prairies for decades and the paint, even after several (-30 with salt and sand exposure) harsh winters, still shines easily when given a little attention (after several owners neglect).

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Faded paint will still shine as that's not the issue and I figure my 15 years working for a body/paint shop should count for something. Not all finishes are created equal and neither is the care the owners give them.
Keep 'em washed and waxed regularly and minimal issues wil show up but from the cars we get in the shop most owners prove otherwise and keeps me busy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I saw the subject line, I thought you were talking about getting a tattoo of your car as an owner! I would not get a tat of a Focus on me. Now maybe if I owned a Boss 302....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I feel like most of the vehicles I see with this kind of stuff are more feminine like the fiat 500 our the bug, owners who ask about color before anything else

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Not sure if they ever followed through with this, but I've never seen them in the real world.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts