Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since that SOB is expensive, and mine is shot, I'll probably switch to adjustable cam gears, since they aren't too expensive. It'd also open up avenues in the future for other potential mods. the problem I'm having is knowing who's gears will fit. CFM sells them, and I've found a few others, but do they fit? I'm aware that I'll need to buy a delete kit, too, but I'm not so worried about that. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you feel something on the VCT went out and what part is bad ?

Tom
When the intake cam gear is bolted to the cam and torqued to spec, with the timing belt in place and the pin out, as you're rotating the crank, the cam does not rotate until the gear has made roughly a quarter turn. If that's normal, and he just didn't have the gear set correctly, I'll pass that on to him, but I'm not very familiar with it personally.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
That is correct , you can rotate the engine and the intake cam not move because of the VCT gear , very normal even if he has the gear set correctly , he should of known this before sending you off to buy parts you dont need

If and when you get the over or under advance CEL codes contact me for further help

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is correct , you can rotate the engine and the intake cam not move because of the VCT gear , very normal even if he has the gear set correctly , he should of known this before sending you off to buy parts you dont need

If and when you get the over or under advance CEL codes contact me for further help

Tom
I haven't bought the parts yet. I want to verify that they'd fit first.

I would have expected SOME play, but not 90 degrees of rotation before the gear engages the camshaft. My only other thought on that would be to move the gear to the point which it engages the cam, then set the timing belt on it at that point. Would that be correct, assuming that the crank and cams had been set to TDC?

·
Registered
293 Posts
the cam gear needs to be all the way counter clockwise do you have the cam postion iiming tool kit? that will lock cam shafts into place so you can make sure your vct cam gear is all the way counterclock wise and yes they have that much play on the vct cam cause thats how the power ban makes the tourqe when in higher rpm range.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
You need to get your SVT to some one that knows what there doing before you have to replace all the Valves

If your doing this your self you need to ask for help getting the timing belt installed correctly

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to get your SVT to some one that knows what there doing before you have to replace all the Valves

If your doing this your self you need to ask for help getting the timing belt installed correctly

Tom
I was thinking i was when I took it to a Ford dealership.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
I talk to at least 4-5 Ford dealers a year , they change the VCT solenoid , ECU , VCT Gear all because they " THINK " they have the belt installed right , then they call me and I tell them how to fix it which comes down to they have the belt installed improperly

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talk to at least 4-5 Ford dealers a year , they change the VCT solenoid , ECU , VCT Gear all because they " THINK " they have the belt installed right , then they call me and I tell them how to fix it which comes down to they have the belt installed improperly

Tom
Then this might be the time to make that knowledge public, because I'm sure there are others like me who live in rural areas and don't have ready access to technicians that have specific experience with the SVT. How exactly does the belt being installed improperly affect when the VCT Gear engages the intake cam when you're rotating the timing components by hand? What is the proper procedure for reassembly?

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
If it is together what code are you seeing over or under advance , its much easier to fix the over or under advance then trying to get the gear set properly

So what code ?

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it is together what code are you seeing over or under advance , its much easier to fix the over or under advance then trying to get the gear set properly

So what code ?

Tom
There were no codes at all. The first time he had it back together, he stated that it ran rough at idle, and had no power driving around the lot. He disassembled it, reset the cams and crank, and tried to check timing by rotating it by hand, and that's when he found the aforementioned issue. And so, here I am. If I could get it fixed and leave the VCT gear alone, that'd be fine, but I'm almost tempted to get a set of CFM adjustable cam gears for simplicity's sake.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Here's a long description on solving problems:http://forums.focaljet.com/ford-svt...x-important-timing-belt-info.html#post7721520

The post earlier on getting the VCT gear in the right position is correct, this link just adds a lot of info.

If the crank rotates without the intake cam rotating immediately after doing the timing, it wasn't doe correctly. You should be able to rotate the crank & bring the timing marks right back into position.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
There were no codes at all. The first time he had it back together, he stated that it ran rough at idle, and had no power driving around the lot. He disassembled it, reset the cams and crank, and tried to check timing by rotating it by hand, and that's when he found the aforementioned issue. And so, here I am. If I could get it fixed and leave the VCT gear alone, that'd be fine, but I'm almost tempted to get a set of CFM adjustable cam gears for simplicity's sake.
If you do the adjustable gears you will also need a tune to turn off the VCT and the light you will get , then the adj gears dont just go in , set them to "0" and your done , there is a trick to getting adjustable gears set correctly then you have to go to a dyno to get them properly set

If he drove it and it had no power the gears were not done correctly , if your not getting a CEL then either some one has taken the light out or turned off the codes or he didnt drive it far enough for the CEL to come on , either way your making this harder then it has to be

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went back to the tech with Sailor's link, he got it fixed. He had to fiddle with it a bit, but its running strong now. No lights so far, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and my scan tool handy. Thank you for your help.

Jereme

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yah I just did it friday and the light came on saturday morning.
I have it back in the garage im just not understading exactly how u turn the gear. With the belt on? Before u put the belt on?
Should the whole gear turn?

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Dont turn the gear , loosen the bolt and turn the cam with the valve cover off , so if the code is over adv then retard the cam slightly , if over retarded then turn the cam advanced slightly

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts