Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday when I got off work I went to put gas in my car and i open the fuel door and put my hand on the gas cap and its covered in this slimey, snot like substance. I am like the WTF!#@@!. I stick my finger down in the gas reservior and the I can feel the gunk in there. Whatever it is, it has no smell and no taste and has the consistency of melted vaseline and baby snot. Could this shit damage my engine and how bad? A friend of mine told me that since I was already on E when I was at the gas station that it would have done the damage already. But my car is riding fine. Can you guys give me some tips on what I might have to look forward to as this crude makes it way through my fuel system like cholestrol in a fat man's arteries? New fuel injectors?, fuel pump, a new [email protected]! Can I just get a fuel injection cleaning?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would probably suggest some fuel injection cleaning. Odds are your engine will be just fine, maybe replace your fuel filter as well just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
change the fuel filter too. It may end up clogging the 'sock' on the in-tank fuel pump, but I'd wait til that happens before I pulled the pump out.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well, not knowing what the stuff is, it is hard to say. If you have any of it left as a sample, I'd see if it dissolves in alcohol. That "Red Heet" isopropyl alcohol is relatively cheap and I would put a few bottles in the fuel to assist in cleaning the stuff out. Since the stuff is alcohol, you can put quite a bit in without causing any problems, e.g., three or four bottles in a 14 gallon tank would only be a 3-4% concentration of alcohol, so a couple of bottles certainly shouldn't hurt, even if the gasoline you buy at the pump already has some alcohol in it.

The next order of business is to buy a locking gas cap.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Yup, and be sure to get the "Heet" in the RED bottle, not the YELLOW bottle. The yellow bottle is methyl alcohol which is not good for many fuel systems. The stuff in the RED bottle is isopropyl alcohol, which not only works better, but also does not do "bad things" to some fuel system components.

Odds are you'd run into no problems with the cheaper yellow stuff, but the price difference is so small, it is best to go with the RED bottle stuff.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
LOL, damn man didn't you learn in chemistry that you never, never, NEVER put a foreign substance near your mouth. The things we do sometimes, lol.

That sucks that someone messed with your ride like that though. Hopefully whatever it is doesn't mess up your car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL you are right, but I was so pissed that I wasnt thinking straight, i guess i was thinkin CSI, you know when they rub it between their fingers and dab it on their tongue...

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
If it were me, I'd drop the whole gas tank system and clean it out, and clean out the whole fuel lines, you never know...........but that's just me.
Damn, sorry this happened to you, thank god for locking gas caps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Is there anything that calling the cops could have done...if not to help you but to have them start looking for *******s going around doing this?

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
dre1283 said:
lol, I dabbd a bit on my tongue. Thanks penguin
Holy crap, you actually TASted it? [:p] Man, it's a good thing it wasn't concentrated bleach, or an alkalie substance of some sort...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts