Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that Valvoline Dex/Merc 75000 MAX Life automatic transmission fluid is Mercon V approved?

They used to market it as recommended for 'Mercon V' applications with a listing stating so on the back of the bottle. They dropped the 'Mercon V' on the back of the bottle but list 'Mercon LV'.

When asked, valvoline said it was a 'marketing thing' and that it is still Mercon V approved. And that Mercon LV was listed instead because it is Fords latest fluid.

It should be noted that this page of their website doesn't mention Mercon V until you click on their link from this page:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37

Related FAQs

Is MaxLife ATF compatible with other brands of automatic transmission fluid?

and read:

13. Is MaxLife ATF OK to use in applications requiring Mercon-V fluid?

Yes. MaxLife Dex/Merc automatic transmission fluid meets the Mercon V specifications.

FWIW

·
Registered
542 Posts
I used the regular Mercon V in my Taurus for a tranny fluid change...no problems and it shifted like the fluid hadn't been changed in awhile [thumb]

·
Registered
659 Posts
I bought Castrol because it said MerconV on the bottle.My Escape takes Mercon and there was issues with people putting MerconV in where Mercon was required and had trans issues.So I stick with the right label on the container just to be careful.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I think Ford dealerships use Mercon V (or it's newer equivalent) for basically all transmission fluid changes. I've had it in my transmission for the last 10K or so miles, I have no complaints about shift quality or reason to suspect it's not holding up. I'll probably change it for something else before too long, it's a really easy fluid change for an MTX.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I put it in my Honda Oddessy and it requires Honda's ZR-1 fluid only. It was recommended by everyone on the Oddy forum. It's the only tranny fluid that says it can replace the ZR-1 fluid.

This stuff almost seems like miracle tranny fluid since it can go in just about any manufacturer's it seems like

1 - 6 of 6 Posts