Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
will not last more than 20k miles...
if you are gonna change cams try to change the valvetrain too...
will save you time and money !!!

225 in mcnews !

·
Registered
816 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a moron....I have never heard the term valvetrain before. What is it referring to?

·
Registered
103 Posts
there are a TON of people on FJ running crower 2's with stock valvetrain and have had NO PROBLEMS past 20k miles. it is a good idea to upgrade, but not necessary.

bartek

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
bartlomiej said:
there are a TON of people on FJ running crower 2's with stock valvetrain and have had NO PROBLEMS past 20k miles. it is a good idea to upgrade, but not necessary.

bartek
This is wrong, they have no problems why? Well I will tell you. Because their cars are fairly new and they wouldn't know if their cars had valvetrain strain.

I know someone who has tested the valvesprings on a car using crower stage 2's for over 15k miles. The valve springs were significantly weaker than they should have been.

·
Registered
103 Posts
interesting... i have a buddy with a turbo (pushing 220+) and he has been running crower 2's for some time now and no problems. a mutlitude of people have been running crower 2's for 20k+ and have had no problems. this is the first i've heard of crower 2's weakening the valvetrain. I have NEVER heard of crower 2's doing any kind of damage when installed properly.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks for the reply El_Pio, that is pretty much what I thought, but I was not sure.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
bartlomiej said:
interesting... i have a buddy with a turbo (pushing 220+) and he has been running crower 2's for some time now and no problems. a mutlitude of people have been running crower 2's for 20k+ and have had no problems. this is the first i've heard of crower 2's weakening the valvetrain. I have NEVER heard of crower 2's doing any kind of damage when installed properly.
I had and have installed a ton of crower stage 2's.

Just because folks have the cams doesn't mean its not weakening their valvetrain.

The stock valvetrain is ok but not designed to last under the kind of conditions the cams stress. That is why crower and other manufacturers recommend upgraded valvetrain components.

·
Registered
103 Posts
focaltech said:
I had and have installed a ton of crower stage 2's.

Just because folks have the cams doesn't mean its not weakening their valvetrain.

The stock valvetrain is ok but not designed to last under the kind of conditions the cams stress. That is why crower and other manufacturers recommend upgraded valvetrain components.
i think it's all relative. obviously cams will put stress on the valvetrain weakening it (as with anything else), but not to the point where it wont last 20k miles!!!!!

the main reason cam manufactures put that disclaimer on all cams is to cover their asses. the point i want to make is that even though it weakens the valves, it'll take alot more than just mild bolt ons and crower 2's to ruin them. 100's of crower 2 owners with 20k+ miles can't be wrong.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
bartlomiej said:
i think it's all relative. obviously cams will put stress on the valvetrain weakening it (as with anything else), but not to the point where it wont last 20k miles!!!!!

the main reason cam manufactures put that disclaimer on all cams is to cover their asses. the point i want to make is that even though it weakens the valves, it'll take alot more than just mild bolt ons and crower 2's to ruin them. 100's of crower 2 owners with 20k+ miles can't be wrong.
Your missing the point, no one said at 20k miles your valvetrain craps out, why do you keep saying that? Its not part of the argument.

·
Registered
103 Posts
actually, i believe it was the first reply that someone mentioned 20k miles. that's my point, not trying to argue, but this kid would be fine without an upgraded valvetrain (unless he wants to rev past 7200). sorry, not trying to get you riled up about anything.

·
Registered
103 Posts
el_pio said:
will not last more than 20k miles...
if you are gonna change cams try to change the valvetrain too...
will save you time and money !!!

225 in mcnews !
just so you dont think i'm makin shit up.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
hey with a head package i should get cam shafts and cam gears spring retainers valves thats all in the head package right. i dont want my car crapin out on me not that it will, but you know its better i think when you have the head exposed pay a little more for protection. (upgraded parts) if i were to ugrade everything that involves the head package area what are my safty level on my valvetrain and head area? outta 1-10 .
beleive me ill pay the bux to get the safty 100 bux more??? now or 1000 bux later i play shit smart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts