Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Tom, you've played with many SVTF's...have you noticed any oil pooling on top of the spark plugs? For the LONGEST time, ive had that. Ive changed valve cover gaskets thinking maybe I got a bad one, so Id get a new one when I saw the problem again. Tonight, I thought I blew 'er up. My car made a subaru style sound...car idled fairly rough, but had no power. I knew it was ignition related just by sound. I pulled the #1 plug wire, the top of the plug was SWIMMING in oil. Literally. I pulled the plug and the threads and electrode were covered in oil (might have been from loosening the plugs, oil went down). I cleaned the plugs using brake cleaner and reinstalled. Same issue. I then took my MSD coil and wires off and replaced with OEM. Same thing. I figured, "shit, she's toast" and went in to talk to my wife while the car idled. I was in the kitchen and I heard the idle clean up and I went out, hit the gas and it was fine. What gives!?

You ever see valve seals going bad in these cars?? I Crazymechanic is going to do my seals on August 12th and hopefully that cures it, but, ya think? I've swapped valve covers three times now...WTF!?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...also, I always have oil around the VCT Solenoid too...which has been replaced, so new O-Ring. I'm at a loss. Tonight, all the chambers were flooding, 1 was the worst, 4 had the least.

·
FF Affiliate
30,983 Posts
I wouldnt say there is anything wrong with your valve seals and if there was it wouldnt put oil around you spk plugs where the wires go on

Either your valve cover or VCT is leaking thats the only thing that will do that

The oil you saw in the plug is from taking it out , i wouldnt change the seals for what you said here

Tom

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive done three valve covers....I also spent $70 putting on a new VCT Solenoid to be sure the O-Ring was right. The only thing I didnt do was replace the grommets the bolts go through...

·
FF Affiliate
30,983 Posts
Then replace them to , It isnt valve seals puting oil in the plug area

Why did you change the solenoid why not just the o-ring, and you may of cut that installing it , watch and see where it is coming from

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts