Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had oil in spark plug well--replaced valve cover gasket--when tightening bolts to 6 ft lbs(nothing) I snapped the head off of one of the center bolts
Does anyone know what size thread all I know is it's 8mm if I can find the size and get a replacement(or close) ill pull it - get the broken one out - and redo.
I think maybe my harbor freight torque wrench sucks--I had the bolts all torqued down at 4 ft lbs and i should have left it--oh well more work for me[bawling]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Those bolts are too small to use a torque wrench set in ft. lb. IMHO, not nearly accurate enough when you're working at the end of it's range (I assume a click style). This is normal for any click type torque wrench, ends of the range aren't too accurate. An inch lb. one is the only type that would work on such small bolts, and the beam type is best for that range.

8mm head, right? I'm fairly sure you'll find it's a 6X1.0 metric bolt, match size & thread to be sure. Removal should be easy, as it shouldn't be stuck in there.

Hand tight just so it snugs down is the trick for those, no gain by getting them too tight as they just bottom out as the cover comes in contact with the head.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moved to General Tech Chat

8mm head, right? I'm fairly sure you'll find it's a 6X1.0 metric bolt, match size & thread to be sure. Removal should be easy, as it shouldn't be stuck in there.

Hand tight just so it snugs down is the trick for those, no gain by getting them too tight as they just bottom out as the cover comes in contact with the head.
Yes it was easy--got the broken one out-put a new bolt in 6x1.0 as you stated
I'm getting really fast now at pulling that cover off and getting it back on--not that i want to do it again[thumb] thanks for the help

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
The size stated is right most likely but if the bolt is shouldered or grooved for grommet you will not find one outside of Ford. Use a simple non-shoulder bolt and you could easily ruin the valve cover, Using that torque wrench, the shoulder breaking off saved you there. The shoulder bolt goes in so far and then a solid hit, you won't get that with normal bolt and instead you crack the cover since pressure rises too slowly on the normal bolt.

You don't even need a torque wrench on numbers that low anyway, simply bring all down evenly to the shoulder hit and then slightly tighten each one a bit more. That saves you looking for a number until the bolt snaps, they use non-grade bolts now since the torque number is so low, you should NEVER break one or too tight there. Plastic cover won't take it.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Ay same thing happend to me 10 fofo tell me was it misfiring real bad when you had all that oil in there? Mine was and then all of a sudden stopped car's running good now but i still have to change my v/c gasket because I'm sure 2-4 are full of oil. Oh my #1 bolt is stuck in the v/c can't get it out so I had to buy a new one we tried the screwdriver trick that didn't work we also tried vice grips that didn't work either.....oh well lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The size stated is right most likely but if the bolt is shouldered or grooved for grommet you will not find one outside of Ford. Use a simple non-shoulder bolt and you could easily ruin the valve cover, Using that torque wrench, the shoulder breaking off saved you there. The shoulder bolt goes in so far and then a solid hit, you won't get that with normal bolt and instead you crack the cover since pressure rises too slowly on the normal bolt.

You don't even need a torque wrench on numbers that low anyway, simply bring all down evenly to the shoulder hit and then slightly tighten each one a bit more. That saves you looking for a number until the bolt snaps, they use non-grade bolts now since the torque number is so low, you should NEVER break one or too tight there. Plastic cover won't take it.
we will see --- the head on the new bolt is 10mm and I had run a drill through the grommit to shave down the 3 retainer bumps cause new bolt would not fit thru grommit. It seems ok, time will tell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ay same thing happend to me 10 fofo tell me was it misfiring real bad when you had all that oil in there? Mine was and then all of a sudden stopped car's running good now but i still have to change my v/c gasket because I'm sure 2-4 are full of oil. Oh my #1 bolt is stuck in the v/c can't get it out so I had to buy a new one we tried the screwdriver trick that didn't work we also tried vice grips that didn't work either.....oh well lol.
I had no problems just bought the car and was changing plugs--freaked a bit when i saw oil on the plug--but I did not look down plug well befor pulling plug--thought at first i had oil in cumbustion chamber--but it was just the plug well and pulling plug thru the oil to get it out coated plug.
Very happy it was just valve cover gasket--hoping this fixed it

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Oil in cylinder not the problem, rather the dirt and rocks the oil carried in with it. I am constantly amazed so many here onsite simply yank plugs without blowing out the holes. Do it and be prepared for some surprises, commonly enough stuff comes out of there to blast your face like someone threw a handful of dirt at you. It all typically falls into the open plug hole when plug is removed as ensured by the shape of the casting there. Meaning yanking plugs can cost you a couple years of engine life every time you do it. I wouldn't dream of pulling plugs on these without a thorough blowing out first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil in cylinder not the problem, rather the dirt and rocks the oil carried in with it. I am constantly amazed so many here onsite simply yank plugs without blowing out the holes. Do it and be prepared for some surprises, commonly enough stuff comes out of there to blast your face like someone threw a handful of dirt at you. It all typically falls into the open plug hole when plug is removed as ensured by the shape of the casting there. Meaning yanking plugs can cost you a couple years of engine life every time you do it. I wouldn't dream of pulling plugs on these without a thorough blowing out first.
Guilty as charged--won't do that again. when I was finished changing valve cover--with plugs out I sprayed a little brake cleaner into the cumbustion chamber and turned the car over so any crap tht fell in could get blown out--next time I will clean before pulling plugs. The good news is the top the valve cover and spark plug wells (aside from oil) were very clean--the coil over plug deal seems to keep a lot of debri from falling in there and either last owner was ocd or sellers had engine cleaned

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
The zetecs use plug wire molded in plugs that block the holes, stuff still gets in there. On them there is a hole at one end of head that allows stuff to get in. Much of it is simple corrosion particles under cover that crumble off head. Regardless, you will often get a surprise blowing it out, a veritable cloud of crap comes out sometimes. I now make sure my face is NOT over the exit hole............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts