Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what that tubular sensor is on the valve cover under the svt cover plate
??? i had a valve cover leak and i sealed around it just was wondering what the heck it is cuase i want to make sure i am not blocking whatever it does

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Thats the oil pressure sensor for teh Variable Cam Timing (VCT) on the intake cam. Notorious for having leaky O-Rings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would this cause engine oil to leak and accumulate in the spark plug recesses?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have oil collecting under the SVT cover plate too, and it's been doing it since I bought it at 17k miles. Are you saying that replacing the oil pressure sensor will fix this, or maybe I can just buy some replacement O-rings?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Oil in the valve cover...oh man do I know that one!!

Take the VC off, buy a new gasket, then get BLACK high temp RTV. Cut jut a tiny bit of the tip off so it puts just a small bead in the VC gasket channel. Then rub your finger over the entire vc gasket to get any excess goop off...then without touching anything, set the VC back in place, torque bolts, oil leak gone.

For good measure replace the VCT Solenoid O-ring, but that should cure the oil in the spark plug...

Dont let it get too high (with oil) or else the plug wont ground, you'll run on three cylinders, but you'll instantly have a Subaru Boxer engine...you just wont go anywhere...[;)]

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
5500 said:
Would this cause engine oil to leak and accumulate in the spark plug recesses?

YES! Been there done that! It usually isn't the valve cover leaking but rather the GROMMETS that squash out. SVT, in all of thier wisdom, decided to make the grommets crush out like mad and they eventually just rip/tear/squash out too much and then it starts leaking again. I have replaced them once so far and they are already starting to leak a tiny bit. I am going to modify my bolts to have large washers at the top so the grommets can't squash out so quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts