Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i take my valve cover off to paint or switch out with a 2000 (because thats aluminuim) and reuse my old gasket? would i have anything to worry about? the car only has 28k miles on it..

thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Never re-use any gasket because it will probably end up leaking, plus it's off and its just as easy to replace it :) if it's a money thing don't do it until you have the money IMO

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
01: the stock gasket can and is reused many times. i've had mine off several times...fokuz i don't know what year car you have (don't remember)...but i'm guessing you have the rubber gasket...the 2000's are basically plastic gaskets...its up to you but i would just reuse it as long as its using the existing gasket.and when installing doing, bolt it down like you would when doing a head swap just for sure, start from the inside and work yourself out almost in a circle.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
01FOCUSSE20 said:
Never re-use any gasket because it will probably end up leaking, plus it's off and its just as easy to replace it :) if it's a money thing don't do it until you have the money IMO
a few of fords gaskets are reusable, most of them re rubber, like Kickn said, such as the valve cover, the intake manifold, and the TB

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought a spare one for like $40CAN. Painted it red and then switched them up. When I bought the other one it came with a gasket. As for the origonal I'm getting it cromed!!

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The DURATEC V6 has reusable gaskets for the upper and lower intake manis but they always end up messed up so people just say to get new ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The magnisium metal valve cover is es a completely different gasket than the plastic valve cover. If you have the metal valve cover you should replace the gasket. I have seen several of them break inhalf.

chris

·
Registered
845 Posts
2000 is aluminum? Pretty sure my valve cover is black plastic (aluminum is custom right? did any stock focus' come with aluminum ones? that would have been cool!). You won't need a new gasket for it. I swapped cams and have had no problems yet. Just take it off, paint it, and stick that sucker back on. I'd bolt from the center out like was said above, but it's probably unnecissary because everything under it is bolted down and shouldn't be putting stress on the cover (you don't want to leak oil out of it though...just in case).

·
Registered
15 Posts
the first 6 months of the 2000 Focus Production, was a magnesuim metal valve cover. then using it you will need a different gasket and smaller valve cover bolts.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I bought my car in May of 2000 and I have the black cover.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
ctracing said:
The magnisium metal valve cover is es a completely different gasket than the plastic valve cover. If you have the metal valve cover you should replace the gasket. I have seen several of them break inhalf.

chris
thats why they have a torque setting..lol, i've had mine off at least a good 8 times...and the stock gasket is still on with no leaks

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I gotta side with kickin on this I have had mine (2001) rubber off at least 6-8 times and still no leaks this is even with a modded head so a different seat all together.Mine is the black with zetec on it--secret tourque from the middle.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
liquid01 said:
I gotta side with kickin on this I have had mine (2001) rubber off at least 6-8 times and still no leaks this is even with a modded head so a different seat all together.Mine is the black with zetec on it--secret tourque from the middle.
liquid: i think he was referring more to the 2000 w/ different gasket

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry i havent been able to get on last night to check this.. i have a 2001.. i have a plastic gaskit right? so i diffentally need a torque wrench to do this right?

ok

here is a pic of the 2000 metal cover..

its painted of course.. i want that.. but if its going to cause a hassle

put if i can get the regular one off.. i want to paint it.. BUT! i live in an apartment, so i dont want to take my vavle cover off and leave my engine out in the open. i think if i close my hood and maybe leave newspaper or something over it ill be alright..

and ill get my vavle cover painted in a couple hours.. ok well thanks

i think i learned from this thread is-
-need a torque wrench (obvisouly, i was hoping i can scoot by that)
-you can reuse the gasket.. i have a 2001..

- the metal cover doesnt work with my existing gasket? am i right?

edit: actually im going home in december... my parents have a huge garage and im going to paint it then.. ill take pics and what not and give the step by step..ill have my dad help me.

also im going to clean the car up alot when i get it in a garage.. im going to practically dismantle the whole body and try to shave some more weight.. i got alot of work to do when i get to south florida.. but i will diffentally take some pics so i can get them up.. step by step

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
u could always try to pick up a used early 2k cover. the raised emblem and righting look a lot better when painted vs just a flat surface. solid once color with no tags may look kinda generic u know. u can always paint the ford emblem on in a dif color.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts