Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a pre 12/20/99 Zetec Focus and the valve cover started leaking... well, I went to the parts store and picked up a 60 dollar Fel-Pro gasket and it doesn't seal. I will contact ford in the morning, to see if they can still get them and if they are any different than the one I have. That said, does anybody know if I can get a later Zetec valve cover and swap them out? If that will work then that changes everything, cause I can use the new type of gasket that wont leak.

Any thought would be great...

John

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Very rare that a new gasket when installed correctly would leak. You might have to add a dab of rtv or equivalent to the tight corners around the cam cap area. But other then that I don't think covers can be updated. And good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after checking everything out the leak is starting between the timing gears. I also noticed that the gasket looks like its to small in that area. I tried to post a pick with Taptalk but the sight wouldn't let me...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I didn't use a Fel-Pro gasket, but I did use a cheap eBay bulk valve cover gasket twice and had a leak twice. I was advised on here to use a Magnum valve cover gasket. I tried that and have not had any more valve cover leak issues. The quality of the Magnum valve cover was clear.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I didn't use a Fel-Pro gasket, but I did use a cheap eBay bulk valve cover gasket twice and had a leak twice. I was advised on here to use a Magnum valve cover gasket. I tried that and have not had any more valve cover leak issues. The quality of the Magnum valve cover was clear.

Magnum? I wonder if its the same rubber as the condoms. Ultra leak protection

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
X2, a Felpro gasket installed competently does NOT leak...............they'll cook hard after a few years though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Did you apply rtv gasket by the cam gears illustrated in the install procedure?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts