Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2001 zx3 2 months ago and had noticed oil coming out of the valve cover. I have already replaced the pcv valve with one from autozone and the 2 other pcv hoses with motorcraft hoses. I changed the valve cover gasket this week and have noticed it is still leaking oil. I numbered the order that I tightened the bolts. I have tightened up the bolts a little bit but a little bit of oil has still been leaking. I circled in red where I'm finding the leaking oil at, it's right below where the timing chain cover is. The pulley to the very right is the water pump. It's not very dirty in this pic because I had already cleaned off the oil before I remembered to take the picture. So my question at this point is what is the proper tightening sequence and should I use some rtv sealant?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Your valve cover may be cracked or warped too, inspect it off the car with a straight edge and inspect it for cracking or blistering. If it is then replace it with a METAL ONE.

·
Super Moderator
9,564 Posts
Moved to "General Technical Chat". I have used the Fel-Pro gasket many times and never had a problem. The sequence of tightening the bolts is going from the inside to the outside in a criss cross pattern. But you need to tighten them in either two or three different series. But that is according to how it should be done. Personally, I just work from the inside to the outside snugging them down and then torquing them down to their specification. If I had my manual on me at the moment, I could give you the exact torque requirements. But I am sure with a little bit of a search, you can easily find those numbers.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
a little dab of RTV at each corner and the bends can help.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Bro if you need a valve cover gasket, get the motorcraft one. The after market ones are worse most often. Or go to oreilly for after market sht.

The rtv may work, but I wouldn't recommend it. My buddy kept snapping cams literally in half, two effin pieces, after using a modest amount of rtv to seal his vc gasket. After replacing the cam 3 times he gave up and took it to a real good mechanic. The guy found a little piece of the rtv had fell into the oil and clogged a main oil galley in the head! He tells everybody bout that when he hears "rtv" mentioned lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did get the motorcraft valve cover gasket. I use the wrong ttightening sequence at first bit it's still leaking

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You may have very faintly cracked the vc from overtightening. When it's off, take it into a dark room and shine a flashlight around it and look for light shining through it anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts