Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I went to NAPA and purchased a new gasket for my valve cover. The guy there told me that the brand I purchased was of higher quality and didnt need to use gasket sealer. Wouldn't I want to use it anyways just to ensure 100% seal ? Also, the gasket came with 10 rubber gromets that are supposed to go around each of the 10 valve cover bolts, which dont really fit well arount the guide holes for the bolts and plus they are stiffer rubber than the gasket itself so I would imagine that only torquing the bolts down to 8lbs it wouldnt make a good seal with the valve cover and engine itself. I thought that if I used the sealer with the high temp gasket, I would be fine. Any ideas?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Torque is a killer on the valve cover gasket. The more you torque it the worse it leaks. The grommets should fit and the system shouldn't leak. I don't imagine that using the RTV would hurt, but I'm pretty sure it won't be necessary.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yup, its only 8 lbs. not much. but it won't leak. i've never had a problem w/ only 8 lbs.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
it doesn't look like they are vital anyways. the gasket goes all the way around. and if using proper torque, then ya, you should be good. as i mentioned to ya, you will be just fine

·
Registered
520 Posts
those rubbers go on the bolts on top of the cover so it dosen't leak there. the lip faces down toward the cover. RTV is the worst thing you can use on a oring gasket. the only place you would use it would be a tiny drop at the 2 corners of the piece that goes over the cams.

Silicone is my arch enemy. dosen't last too long compared to a gasket and a nightmare to clean later when it fails.

·
Registered
520 Posts
you can do middle out or 1 side to other either is acceptable but never outsides in.
General rule of thumb for all gasket/metal work.

Middle out is like a head gasket

·
Registered
27 Posts
those rubbers go on the bolts on top of the cover so it dosen't leak there. the lip faces down toward the cover. RTV is the worst thing you can use on a oring gasket. the only place you would use it would be a tiny drop at the 2 corners of the piece that goes over the cams.

Silicone is my arch enemy. dosen't last too long compared to a gasket and a nightmare to clean later when it fails.
We used silicone for years in rebuilding ATV's and motorcycles. Never had a problem with it. What type of silicone are you using? We use the high-temp stuff in a black tube.

On another note, never buy a Fram valve cover gasket (or anything from Fram IMO). I had a brand new oem Motorcraft one when I took the car to have the timing done. They replaced it with a fram and nothing I could do wold keep it from leaking. I replaced it with another Motorcraft and problem solved.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Silicone won't stick to silicone, slightly dirty surfaces, if any fluid l leaks out while putting together, if it leaks a hair you can't snug the bolts, easy to overtighten and squish out, and if you have a difficult time lining up parts (top covers on tranny, shift towers) it can get smeared out of place.
Also it's a major pain to clean out of all the little crevecises. I'd seen a guy blow his motor putting too much silicone on his base pan and getting it all sucked up in the pickup.
As far as brands go to each their own some like chevy some like ford some like toyota I personally have used lots of fram products with no problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What does this gasket cost? Got a price of $ 39.00 with tax. Seems high.

·
Registered
520 Posts
rockauto:
$27.79
Add to Cart
DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # VC431G Includes Grommets and/or Spark Plug Tube Seal
Zetec engine; SET; Set

$29.79
Add to Cart
VICTOR REINZ Part # VS50314 Material: Victo-Tech
Zetec engine; Contains Valve Cover Grommets

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.