Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased a 2001 Focus SE with the DOHC Zetec engine. The car seems to run very well but it looks like their is a little bit of oil around the valve cover leading me to believe that maybe that gasket is bad? I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and how hard it is to replace? I've never done a valve cover gasket before, but I feel pretty comfortable around cars. Just wondering how hard of a job this is.
Also every know and then I get a slight burning smell, I can't pin-point what it is, it's not electrical. But I'm thinking that maybe if the valve cover gasket is leaking that it might either be from there or from oil burning off from it leaking out at the valve cover gasket? The car runs great, shifts great, I do have a very loud engine vibration sometimes at low rpms but I'm pretty sure it is just a bad engine mount. No check engine lights or other warning lights on. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Howard

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Its not hard to do. If your getting a light burning smell its probably a bit of oil getting onto the exhaust manifold. Its not hard to do. Just nuts and bolts.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Its not hard to do. If your getting a light burning smell its probably a bit of oil getting onto the exhaust manifold. Its not hard to do. Just nuts and bolts.
Diddo. I have already done it. It doesnt take very long!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Agreed. Recently did my valve cover gasket. Easy job. Mine was so bad that the car smoked badly from under the hood after a freeway run. The old gasket I pulled out was as hard as hard plastic VS the new one being soft like silicone rubber. Don't forget (like I did), to put the PCV vent tube back in when you are done.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The leak will also allow oil to get down to the thermostat housing and ruin the O ring.
Agree with this..We waited too long to change our valve cover gasket and ended up changing the thermostat housing along with it.

But the valve cover gasket is really easy to do. We've done 2 of them and they don't take very long!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts