Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The valve cover gasket on my 2002 Focus SE Zetec is leaking, so I am about to change it. The guy at the parts store gave me this gasket: Fel-Pro #VS50553R, which comes without any grommets. After that I found on some web sites that another gasket exists, which is similar to the one I just bought, but with grommets. I also found another one with different shape (Fel-Pro #VS50581R) and with grommets. This last one is also supposed to fit the Zetec 2.0L engine of year 2002... So now I'm wondering what gasket I should use, and will I need some grommets before removing the cover and change that gasket? I mention that the VIN engine code is 3. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
I only paid $7 for my Fel-Pro valve cover gasket. I had to get a Contour valve cover gasket since I changed over to the aluminum cover. That kit included the grommets and I wasn't sure if the Focus Zetec one did or not. The grommets aren't all that necessary but if you are replacing one gasket why not replace the grommets since they are pieces that are under direct pressure from the bolts. I know it's a limited chance of happening but the grommet could break apart and completely pop out leaving no pressure pushing down on that one section of the valve cover meaning that the other bolts have to take up more work and more than likely causing them to fail as well. Granted, this is over a longer period of time but a valve cover gasket is not something everyone checks all the time and by the time they do check it, it is generally to replace it since it is leaking. Oh, I have moved this to the Zetec owners section since this doesn't have anything to do with a performance related topic.

My philosophy on the whole deal is...do it right the first time and you won't have any problems with it later on.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Going to have to re do mine tomorrow. any tips for me and the op? this is the deepest I have gone as far as engine work before lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I paid 70$ for mine. I will do the job next week, I will let you know about the results. Thanks to all of you for commenting!

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
I think I paid 70$ for mine. I will do the job next week, I will let you know about the results. Thanks to all of you for commenting!
Be sure when you put this on to apply the right amount of torque to it and to work from the center out. In other words starting with the middle bolts first and then torquing them down to specifications outwards. The torque needed is 60 inch pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts